Contribute
Register

Chimera won't boot without chimera USB drive inserted (dualboot Win and Mac OS on 1 SSD on ASUS mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System/Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i5 > Need full CPU name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
GTX 650 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Hello

I hope somebody has solved a familiar problem or knows how to solve the following issue with my newly built hackintosh. I want to run a dualboot system with Mac OS Mavericks next to Windows 8.1 on one SSD with a 1 TB HDD for backup and data. I am not using a Gigabyte mobo but as I will explain below both Win and Mac OS work fine on my ASUS H87M-PLUS.

First I made the Unibeast USB drive. After booting from the drive I was able to make two partitions (GUID) for Win (fat) and Mac OS (extended, journaled). The installation of Win was a succes, and after that I also installed Mac OS, installed the necessary kexts and ran multibeast without DSDT but with necessary options and Chimera of course.

So I have both systems running, the only thing not working seems to be chimera. When I reboot the PC without Unibeast or other Chimera/Chameleon pen drive the PC boots directly into the UEFI BIOS. When I reboot WITH a bootloader via USB drive the screen first shows an error (four times): "EBIOS read error: Error 0x31. Block 0x0 Sectors 0" and then succesfully boots into Chimera where I can boot either my Win or Mac OS partition.

I understand the error has got something to do with Memory card support on the mainboard? Not quite sure if it's also the culprit for the Chimera boot problem though.

What would you recommend? For the time being I can keep using a Flash card with Chimera but this is not ideal.

Thanks in advance and my apologies for the language mistakes, English is not my main language...

JJ

Ok, thanks a lot for your fast reply! I'll try it out later, AFK for the moment. Will this method also fix the boot errors (0x31)?

EDIT: I do have one other question. When I reformat the EFI partition and mount it (following the steps from the guide you linked to), can I then just install Chimera to the EFI partition from Multibeast, as one would with any other USB thumb drive? Thanks again.

Ok, thanks a lot for your fast reply! I'll try it out later, AFK for the moment. Will this method also fix the boot errors (0x31)?

EDIT: I do have one other question. When I reformat the EFI partition and mount it (following the steps from the guide you linked to), can I then just install Chimera to the EFI partition from Multibeast, as one would with any other USB thumb drive? Thanks again.

Yes. Just run MultiBeast and select the mounted EFI partition to install Chimera. Don't forget to move the /Extra folder to the EFI partition also.

Ok, everything works! I followed the guide (didn't bother using Multibeast, but had to copy the Extra folder to the EFI partition as you noted) and Chimera boots (Mac OS as standard boot option) without any problems.

For the Ebios errors to go away I had to change the USB Mass Storage (apparently on this MOBO the cardreader (which is connected to the internal USB I/O) conflicts with Chimera or something) to CD-ROM in the UEFI BIOS.

Thanks a lot 'Going Bald' (don't worry, I'm going bald as well, we belong to an exclusive club) for your help. Now I can finally enjoy my new PC.

Jan Jasper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back