i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm looking for a quick-and-dirty solution for a computer for our exercise room. The most it'll ever need to do is run Zwift, which yes, is game-like and graphics and stuff, but as games go it's pretty lightweight. It's going to be plugged into the cheapest 1080p monitor I can find; I'm not going to set the graphics at their highest; and I'm fine if the frame rate is as low as 30fps. I don't even need discrete graphics! There's some competitors for Zwift I also may run, but, again, I just need it to function, it doesn't have to look like the latest Tomb Raiders.

Bluetooth and USB are requirements for communicating with the cycling equipment, and Wifi is a requirement because no ethernet in this room and I don't feel like wiring it.

For comparison, my current computer I'm using with Zwift is a hackintosh HP Probook 4540s with an i7-3632QM. It works fine on this. I need something with similar benchmarks for single core but the multicore can probably be worse because this is only ever going to run one thing at a time (Zwift, or streamed video, or maybe an exercise DVD).

I also don't want a giant case if it can be avoided. I also don't want to spend many hours on this. I've done three hackintoshes over the years so I'm not a noob, but I don't want to waste time. I'm hoping to get something in the $200-$300 range though I don't know if that's realistic.

My first thought was just buy a NUC (e.g a NUC8i3beh), but the wifi/bluetooth fixes always seems to be complicated and that's the one thing where I have to have reliability. Buying a NUC and just using Windoze is not completely out of the question, but I wouldn't be here unless I was still hoping to avoid that outcome. Buying a used Mac mini is also not out of the question but so far everything I find is either ancient or overpriced. (Also I am aware that Zwift runs an an Apple TV box which is dirt cheap and handles streaming too, but there are other cycling trainer apps that do not run there that I want to use sometimes so that's off the table.)

[Editing to say... there's a 2012 mac Mini for sale on craigslist for $900. What are these people thinking?????]

I'm looking for a quick-and-dirty solution for a computer for our exercise room. The most it'll ever need to do is run Zwift, which yes, is game-like and graphics and stuff, but as games go it's pretty lightweight. It's going to be plugged into the cheapest 1080p monitor I can find; I'm not going to set the graphics at their highest; and I'm fine if the frame rate is as low as 30fps. I don't even need discrete graphics! There's some competitors for Zwift I also may run, but, again, I just need it to function, it doesn't have to look like the latest Tomb Raiders.

Bluetooth and USB are requirements for communicating with the cycling equipment, and Wifi is a requirement because no ethernet in this room and I don't feel like wiring it.

For comparison, my current computer I'm using with Zwift is a hackintosh HP Probook 4540s with an i7-3632QM. It works fine on this. I need something with similar benchmarks for single core but the multicore can probably be worse because this is only ever going to run one thing at a time (Zwift, or streamed video, or maybe an exercise DVD).

I also don't want a giant case if it can be avoided. I also don't want to spend many hours on this. I've done three hackintoshes over the years so I'm not a noob, but I don't want to waste time. I'm hoping to get something in the $200-$300 range though I don't know if that's realistic.

My first thought was just buy a NUC (e.g a NUC8i3beh), but the wifi/bluetooth fixes always seems to be complicated and that's the one thing where I have to have reliability. Buying a NUC and just using Windoze is not completely out of the question, but I wouldn't be here unless I was still hoping to avoid that outcome. Buying a used Mac mini is also not out of the question but so far everything I find is either ancient or overpriced. (Also I am aware that Zwift runs an an Apple TV box which is dirt cheap and handles streaming too, but there are other cycling trainer apps that do not run there that I want to use sometimes so that's off the table.)

[Editing to say... there's a 2012 mac Mini for sale on craigslist for $900. What are these people thinking?????]
While it might be more powerful than you need, the new Mac Mini M1 can be had for $679 for students. I know it is also like double your budget but it will require zero work to set up and will even be able to play some lesser games. The wifi and BT will just work no need to worry. I did some looking and even doing a Hackintosh it looks like your going to be in the 500-600 range + your time to set it up. If you look in the used market then you might be able to get in your budget and possibly add a wifi/bt card like a Fenvi HB1200M.

I priced out all the parts I'd need to build a mini-ITX from scratch with new cheap parts and it came to $345. At that, there's no perfect model to work from (of someone else doing a build like that) so I wouldn't be sure of everything working right.

H310CM-HDV $60
i3-6100 $75
case $50
270W PSU $35
RAM 8G $30
SSD $35
Wifi/BT $60
-----------------
$345

So instead I cruised ebay for a few days and just ordered a 2018 Mac Mini for about $350 (plus shipping and tax). I got super lucky on that one, as I haven't seen any other 2018s go for less than $475. I wasn't going to go up into the $400s and was figuring I'd end up with a late 2014, which can easily be had for around $270-$300 if you're patient. The 2014 can run Big Sur, though I strongly suspect this'll be the last OS it can run. The 2018 should be good for a few more OS versions. There's plenty of 2012s around for even less too (some under $200), but those topped out with Catalina.

tom

2018 Mac mini might not have many OS updates after Big Sur it will depend on how Apple phases out older intel systems. However that is a good buy and even if Big Sur is the end of the line does not seem like the system needs to be on the latest OS.
I don't have to run the latest and greatest OS, true. But systems remain useful longer if OS-adjacent software like web browsers remains supported. That's why I'm happy to get the 2018.

My guess is there will be one more mixed-OS release after Big Sur. Either that or Big Sur will be a long-running OS. In any case late 2022 or early 2023 before they stop supporting intel OSes, and another year or two of application support for them. Just my guess.

I don't have to run the latest and greatest OS, true. But systems remain useful longer if OS-adjacent software like web browsers remains supported. That's why I'm happy to get the 2018.

My guess is there will be one more mixed-OS release after Big Sur. Either that or Big Sur will be a long-running OS. In any case late 2022 or early 2023 before they stop supporting intel OSes, and another year or two of application support for them. Just my guess.

Yea I am hoping there will be a few more dual OS released for a while since I also have a 2018 mac mini. I mean they really have no reason not to since they themselves are pushing software developers to develop universal apps. Instead of intel or ARM only versions but we will see. There are rumors that we will see a 2021 Mac Pro Refresh on intel and AMD released a statement that said they are continuing to work with Apple for the long run.

Good to see you got a cheap 2018 Mac mini.

Agreed, I don't need the latest OS myself, and in particular I don't like Big Sur at all.

My own 2018 Mac mini is still on Mojave, the preinstalled MacOS, while my main hackintosh systems (first and second) run MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina. I think I will be good for at least a few more years even in the worst case Big Sur being the last Intel MacOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back