GTX 660 3GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello there,

after a few days of hard try and error, I finally managed to get my first Hackintosh running a few month ago. I made it a dualboot-system with Yoesimte and Win10. Being new to OSX and not shure what to do with it, and just owning a 120GB SSD, i installed OSX into a tiny 30 GB Partition. Well, that was not enough, and I took the chance to grab a 240 GB SSD yesterday and cloned my old Partition onto that one. So far, everything worked well.
But then, please don't ask why, i wondered what would happen if I disconnect my primary SSD and bootet again.
So, still connected were my new Yosemite-240GB-SSD and my Games-and-stuff-1TB-HDD (belonging to my Win10-Installation from the 120GB-SSD).
Thought it would shure Boot into OSX, but instead, Win10 started auto-repairing stuff.
I paniced, spammed "ESC" and then did shut down my PC.
After reconnecting my primary SSD, the Bootloader was gone, and it booted straight to Windows10.

Question:
Is there any possibility to get the bootloader (I geuss/hope it was Chameleon) back to work (or any other Bootloader), or do I have to completely install OSX again? (feels like i forgot everything i did back then, so I really would prefer not to...)

Hope that was understandable, no native English-Speaker.

Thanks for reading!
Zumi

Hello there,

after a few days of hard try and error, I finally managed to get my first Hackintosh running a few month ago. I made it a dualboot-system with Yoesimte and Win10. Being new to OSX and not shure what to do with it, and just owning a 120GB SSD, i installed OSX into a tiny 30 GB Partition. Well, that was not enough, and I took the chance to grab a 240 GB SSD yesterday and cloned my old Partition onto that one. So far, everything worked well.
But then, please don't ask why, i wondered what would happen if I disconnect my primary SSD and bootet again.
So, still connected were my new Yosemite-240GB-SSD and my Games-and-stuff-1TB-HDD (belonging to my Win10-Installation from the 120GB-SSD).
Thought it would shure Boot into OSX, but instead, Win10 started auto-repairing stuff.
I paniced, spammed "ESC" and then did shut down my PC.
After reconnecting my primary SSD, the Bootloader was gone, and it booted straight to Windows10.

Question:
Is there any possibility to get the bootloader (I geuss/hope it was Chameleon) back to work (or any other Bootloader), or do I have to completely install OSX again? (feels like i forgot everything i did back then, so I really would prefer not to...)

Hope that was understandable, no native English-Speaker.

Thanks for reading!
Zumi
Your bootloader is still on the primary drive. What you are forgetting is that every time, and that is indeed every time that you connect or disconnect a drive from your system you must reset your boot order in the BIOS/UEFI.

The big question here is how did you do your previous dual boot install? Legacy mode or UEFI mode. Windows first or OS X first?
List steps in installing originally.

Your bootloader is still on the primary drive. What you are forgetting is that every time, and that is indeed every time that you connect or disconnect a drive from your system you must reset your boot order in the BIOS/UEFI.

The big question here is how did you do your previous dual boot install? Legacy mode or UEFI mode. Windows first or OS X first?
List steps in installing originally.

Thanks a lot, guess you saved my weekend! (Well, maybe i will nevertheless spend it trying to install El Capitan)
Really did not think about this. Just had to set the old SSD as Bootdevice Nr.1 .
Still wondering a little bit how windows did boot from my hdd...

But now, can i just erase the 30GB-Yosemite-Partition and give this extra space to Win10 or will this erase the Bootloader too?

I guess i installed OS X first, but i am really not sure about that.
But i remember that i installed Windows multiple times, too, until i had both running as desired.

Thanks a lot, guess you saved my weekend! (Well, maybe i will nevertheless spend it trying to install El Capitan)
Really did not think about this. Just had to set the old SSD as Bootdevice Nr.1 .
Still wondering a little bit how windows did boot from my hdd...

But now, can i just erase the 30GB-Yosemite-Partition and give this extra space to Win10 or will this erase the Bootloader too?

I guess i installed OS X first, but i am really not sure about that.
But i remember that i installed Windows multiple times, too, until i had both running as desired.
Easiest path for you is to disconnect the Windows drive, boot with the UniBeast USB you used to install on your new SSD, select your OS X drive and boot to desktop. Use the MultiBeast app to install boot loader and kexts for audio and internet. Reboot without the USB to make sure everything is working.
Then you can reconnect the Windows drive, reset the BIOD boot order to your new SSD as 1st in boor order, select the Win10 icon to boot it to make sure that works, too.

Then and only then you can recover the space OS X is taking up on your Win10 SSD.

Sounds absolutely logical, thanks again.
Due to myself deleting the Installation-USB-Drive, and now, not knowing where to get Yosemite anymore, I guess i will have to leave it this way, until i got El Capitan working, and then proceed like you explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back