Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Can't Update from 10.14.3 to 10.14.5 - "VirtualSMC EFI module is broken"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
AsRock Z370 Pro4
CPU
I5-8400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

I've tried updating to 10.14.5 from 10.14.3 and I can't. Before starting the update process, updated Clover, AppleALC.kext, Lilu.kext and Whatevergreen.kext. I initiated the update from System Preferences.
  1. It would install the software update and restart
  2. After the restart I would boot into the pre selected MacOS Install on Clover
  3. I then get an Apple logo with a bar that slowly starts filling up to around 10-15%
  4. Then it hangs
I've left it for hours, I had a rehearsal to go to for 3 hours and so left it running. When I got back it was still at 10-15% done.

I restarted my computer and I still have access to both MacOS 10.14.3 and Windows 10 (running dualboot on seperate SSDs)

If you need a log file, I'm happy to get it for you but I will need to know where to get it from, or any more info and I'll try to be as descriptive as possible.

Any help greatly appreciated, and thanks for reading.

Hi there,

I've tried updating to 10.14.5 from 10.14.3 and I can't. Before starting the update process, updated Clover, AppleALC.kext, Lilu.kext and Whatevergreen.kext. I initiated the update from System Preferences.
  1. It would install the software update and restart
  2. After the restart I would boot into the pre selected MacOS Install on Clover
  3. I then get an Apple logo with a bar that slowly starts filling up to around 10-15%
  4. Then it hangs
I've left it for hours, I had a rehearsal to go to for 3 hours and so left it running. When I got back it was still at 10-15% done.

I restarted my computer and I still have access to both MacOS 10.14.3 and Windows 10 (running dualboot on seperate SSDs)

If you need a log file, I'm happy to get it for you but I will need to know where to get it from, or any more info and I'll try to be as descriptive as possible.

Any help greatly appreciated, and thanks for reading.

I then get an Apple logo with a bar that slowly starts filling up to around 10-15%
Then it hangs
  • Gui boot with Apple Logo is for an established System running flawlessly.
  • Verbose Boot with text based Display output is what is needed during upgrade installation or Clean installation with a USB Installer Disk to find clues to the cause of any booting problem.
  • Using the clues found through Verbose boot one can diagnose and fix the issues or post a photo of Verbose boot Screen stopping or pausing to the Forum to get help.
  • Apple Logo Covers up any helpful clues for booting problem the Verbose boot can reveal.
For some tips about Mojave installation and seeking Forum help->https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ave-installation-and-posting-for-help.276352/

• Gui boot with Apple Logo is for an established System running flawlessly.
  • Verbose Boot with text based Display output is what is needed during upgrade installation or Clean installation with a USB Installer Disk to find clues to the cause of any booting problem.
  • Using the clues found through Verbose boot one can diagnose and fix the issues or post a photo of Verbose boot Screen stopping or pausing to the Forum to get help.
  • Apple Logo Covers up any helpful clues for booting problem the Verbose boot can reveal.
For some tips about Mojave installation and seeking Forum help->https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ave-installation-and-posting-for-help.276352/

Thank you for your help.

So after doing a Verbose Boot into the update installer (I must be honest, I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for in the wall of text and it was a little overwhelming) I saw what may be the problem.

VirualSMC came back as broken, sorry for the poor image quality.

IMG_0454.JPG

After digging around in my EFI folder I found the VirtualSMC kext and also FakeSMC kext. Did some googling about the difference.

My question, should I be only using one? (as I accidently installed both somewhere, as far as I remember I only installed the FakeSMC)

And/or

Do I need to update/re-install the VirtualSMC kext?

EDIT:
I updated my Kexts through Clover Configurator since they weren't up to date, even though I downloaded them and used Kext beast to install them... anyway, must be user error and I've not done it correctly. Moving on, I updated all Kexts that need to be, including VirtualSMC and FakeSMC. VirtualSMC came back again as "VirtualSMC EFI module is broken"

Last edited:
After digging around in my EFI folder I found the VirtualSMC kext and also FakeSMC kext. Did some googling about the difference.

My question, should I be only using one? (as I accidently installed both somewhere, as far as I remember I only installed the FakeSMC)

@jonesythegamer,

FakeSMC and VirtualSMC are mutually exclusive, you can only use one method to emulate the AppleSMC.

Choose one and delete the other .... FakeSMC is more established and works well on most hardware, where as VirtualSMC is newer but is still in development and can have a few quirks on certain hardware so i would personally go with FakeSMC and remove VirtualSMC, be sure to also delete the appropriate efi driver in /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI if installed.

Cheers
Jay

@jonesythegamer,

FakeSMC and VirtualSMC are mutually exclusive, you can only use one method to emulate the AppleSMC.

Choose one and delete the other .... FakeSMC is more established and works well on most hardware, where as VirtualSMC is newer but is still in development and can have a few quirks on certain hardware so i would personally go with FakeSMC and remove VirtualSMC, be sure to also delete the appropriate efi driver in /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI if installed.

Cheers
Jay

Ah perfect, thank you for the info!

Deleted VirtualSMC (and any other files to do with it) and started the update.

It’s now gone past the hang point and can confirm it has updated smoothly after a couple of restarts.

Thank you for your help @jaymonkey and @cmn699

May I ask one more question regarding kexts.

What’s the best way to update/install and organise them? As it seems everyone tells me a different way.

I like Clover Configurator as it’s simple to use so should I just use that? Or is there a better way to make sure all my kexts are working and updated?

Ah perfect, thank you for the info!

Deleted VirtualSMC (and any other files to do with it) and started the update.

It’s now gone past the hang point and can confirm it has updated smoothly after a couple of restarts.

Thank you for your help @jaymonkey and @cmn699

What’s the best way to update/install and organise them? As it seems everyone tells me a different way.

I like Clover Configurator as it’s simple to use so should I just use that? Or is there a better way to make sure all my kexts are working and updated?
  • Kexts that go into EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other for easy access during boot time , are just copied and pasted after the hidden EFI is mounted on the Desktop using an EFI mounting tool like CC|EFI Mounter V3 or using Terminal commands.
  • The kexts to the macOS System disk, goes into /Library/Extensions folder. They require installation using a tool like Kext Beast, Kext Wizard or Kext Utility or Terminal commands.
  • Many kexts you install in CLOVER/kexts/Others also need to be also installed into L/E folder . Most believe non-Mac kexts should not be installed in /S/L/E . I may have a different view on this subject from personal experience with no adverse outcome by installing in /S/L/E..

@jonesythegamer,

See this guide for more info :-

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back