Motherboard
Dell Vostro 5390
CPU
i5-8265U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I just bought BCM94360NG card after looking at laptop schematics and confirm that it really has pcie lane in the cnvi/pcie ngff slot combo, but it didn't get determined in the bios (but it's bluetooth is, so the BT usb lanes is working)
1703456092351.png

1703456674807.png

1703456698573.png

The "fun" thing is - that laptop is never been packed with anything than cnvi intel wifi card
Many similar dell laptops according to EFI's at GitHub successfully working with that card, and they been packed with the same AC 9462/9560 and some other Broadcom/qualcomm pcie cards (like, 5411)
1703456241900.png

I tried that card though m2 ssd to m2 key e + usb adapter instead of ssd and it get determined in bios, so that is not a whitelisting issue
seems like the dell bios engineers just forgot to add pcie lane to that port or idk
I tried to look at uefi bios variables (PCIe roots are all enabled by default, disabling previous - 9th giving to result, 10th lane is "shadowed by x2/x4" by SetupVolatileData variable, there is no bifurcation or link configuration (x1/x2/x4/x8) possible) - but no luck, so, I came up with an idea of DSDT modifying to get it to work

In DSDT (attached below) I can see that the previous RP09 is used as HUB for WWAN card which uses 11 and 12 lanes
and 10th is fully omitted =\

So the question is - can the ssdt patch get pcie device to work somehow?
Or maybe i need to look at that at different angle?
I got no specific knowledge about PCIe, BIOS'es, but slowing getting into by myself
But I'm kinda tired now and requesting a help =D

UPD
The pcie card popping 11th root port which is disabled by default in bios, but didn't determined further, since something else preventing device to init there
So seems like dell engineers intentionally remapped 10th lane to 11 and disabled it

Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    270.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
look over at bios-mods.com to see if they can help if you need your bios modding
Thanks I'll start similar topic there too
Don't think that actual bios mod is needed there, maybe just advanced settings unlock for more comfortable way to look at defaults/tweak them
But apparently dell laptops have some issues with flashing modded bios

I need some kind of analysis of how manufacturer can disable pcie root port and what can prevent it to be used

BTW I have started the topic at win raid forum with more detailed info

Have a look at Smokless_UMAF it may help with accessing the advanced or hidden Bios options.

Have a look at Smokless_UMAF it may help with accessing the advanced or hidden Bios options.

well, it didn't work for me, since that tool is targeted at AMD and I guess more "simple" bios vendor editions (but there are some reports of success on intel 12th gen)

look over at bios-mods.com to see if they can help if you need your bios modding

Bump

I have created account (and another one two days ago just to check), but it didn't get verified for a long time, so I can't start a topic, maybe you know why it can be?
I tried to contact support through their form, but no response to leaved email for a week too
forum seems to be not dead, there are new topics starting, so it's interesting why my account didn't get verified

Bump

I have created account (and another one two days ago just to check), but it didn't get verified for a long time, so I can't start a topic, maybe you know why it can be?
I would have no idea why they haven't verified your account on bios-mods, I have no dealings with them

Back