Contribute
Register

Can't get any bootloader working. Have to boot using USB [El Capitan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock z77 pro3
CPU
i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 660
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Can't get any bootloader working. Have to boot using USB (El Capitan) [SOLVED]

Hello guys!
Today I finally successfully installed El Capitan on my machine. However, I find it impossible to get any bootloader to actually boot when I press f11 and select the correct hdd in bios...

My Storage Setup is like this:

SSD w/ Windows 10 (primary boot option and booting fine)
HDD 500GB GPT with 4 partitions (System reserved [Windows, don't know if this is an old windows system partition...], HFS Partition where El Capitan is installed, 300mb EFI Partition and the rest is a Partition I use for storage in windows.
2TB HDD Purely windows storage. one partition.

After I successfully installed El Capitan I ran multibeast to install all the necessities such as the UEFI boot loader and so on. However when I tried to restart and selected my 500gb hdd in the boot menu it just skipped it and went straight to booting my windows 10 ssd instead. Same thing has kept happening, no matter what I use to install the clover bootloader, I tried installing it from sourceforge, using MacP0ison....
Nothing works!
Also, when I try to mount my EFI partition I just get an error saying unexcpected disk id disk2s5 (disk2 is the 500gb one).
The only EFI I have been able to successfully mount is the one that is on the usb boot stick I created with Unibeast.

Can anyone please help me to get at least the bootloader working? I have no idea what is up with my EFI partition but for some reason I see a device in my "Devices" tab saying "System" and inside that one I see an EFI folder which have empty kext folders... WHat's that???

Please help, Thanks in advance!

PC Specs (aside from HDDs)

intel i5 2500K
asrock z77 pro3 mobo
gigabyte gtx 660
Corsair 600CXM PSU

EDIT

FINALLY GOT IT WORKING!

I tried many different bootloaders and in the end, for some reason, the one that actually worked was the legacy boot loader I installed via multibeast :O It's odd because I have an UEFI mobo and I always boot my usbs in UEFI mode. However, after getting the bootloader to work my system wouldn't start using the bootloader on the hdd, only via the one on usb. So I used verbose boot to find the problem and there you go. Kernel panic: com.apple.drivers.nullcpupowermanagement. So I simply booted into El Capitan using my USB and then download the nullcpupowermanagement.kext from this site and installed it using kext wizard and voilá! Now everything is working :) (Except HDMI sound but that is not really releated xD)

Last edited:
I have same issue here with 10.11.3 and Z97 my HDD setup is:
Partitions.png

I had boot0af:error (yes i have tried fix it through boot1h copy from Mac OS USB) now after some experimenting with Clover re installation from various guides i got on blinking cursor on black screen.

Im still able to boot from USB stick, but its annoying and it seems to ignoring config.plist on Mac OS volume, because even if i edit this file boot flag are still same in USB Clover menu.
I get rid off EFI and Recovery partitions in process, because i afaik there are not needed for boot, if is now Mac OS volume EFI folder, at least it was working in the past.

I would prefer install El Capitan right on first MBR SSD disc, but i got error, that disk have to be GPT (i tried install Unibest in MBR modem but it didnt help) so i have installed it on second slow HDD.

I have same issue here with 10.11.3 and Z97 my HDD setup is:
View attachment 182324

I had boot0af:error (yes i have tried fix it through boot1h copy from Mac OS USB) now after some experimenting with Clover re installation from various guides i got on blinking cursor on black screen.

Im still able to boot from USB stick, but its annoying and it seems to ignoring config.plist on Mac OS volume, because even if i edit this file boot flag are still same in USB Clover menu.
I get rid off EFI and Recovery partitions in process, because i afaik there are not needed for boot, if is now Mac OS volume EFI folder, at least it was working in the past.

I would prefer install El Capitan right on first MBR SSD disc, but i got error, that disk have to be GPT (i tried install Unibest in MBR modem but it didnt help) so i have installed it on second slow HDD.

Sorry about the errors with the bootloader. Can't personally help you there. However, I can tell you that you need a disk that is GPT to install any hackintosh to, unless you have applied a so called "MBR Patch" to your usb installer. This bypasses the GPT only restriction and should let you install hackintosh to MBR partitions as well :) I was going to use this patch but I don't know if it was because of the patch or what not that I couldn't get the installer working so I made a new one and converted my HDD to GPT (without data loss) in Windows using a program called "Aomei Partition assistant".

Thanks for info, i cant convert MBR to GPT, because of legacy WinXP cant boot from GPT driver, otherwise i would do that.

I going to google MBR patch, is there any limitation of MBR instead of GPT for Mac, will Clover and all kext, 3D acceleration etc working?

Thanks for info, i cant convert MBR to GPT, because of legacy WinXP cant boot from GPT driver, otherwise i would do that.

I going to google MBR patch, is there any limitation of MBR instead of GPT for Mac, will Clover and all kext, 3D acceleration etc working?

I must say I personally don't know but I think everything is supposed to work as normal if you use the patch. Make sure that you download the one for El Capitan though. Or whatever OS X u are installing. They have different patches

With patch i have installed El Capitan on MBR disk what is nice, i run again into boot0af:error error, even with MBR disk, i though that this is GPT issue.

I did copy boot1h file from Unibeast flash, but without success and i now im trying to reinstall Clover by this guide:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301255-how-to-fix-the-boot0af-error-using-clover/
Update: failed again boot0af:error

So last chance is start clover on MBR through Linux Grub bootloader, i was able to do it for Chimera, but not for Clover.

I would care too much, if i would capable bypass bootloader issue through Unibeast USB boot, but i got into other problem:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301255-how-to-fix-the-boot0af-error-using-clover/

I made progress, now i managed to get booting into clover on GPT disk, i would like to say, exacly how but i only how that i found other guide and trying clover checkboxes something with RC scripts, clover panel and themes.. and voila its working.

After bios update, i even see GPT disk EUFI option in boot menu, i wasnt there before and i working also in legacy mode. Im a bit angry in Bios release notes wasnt anything about some UEFI enhancment or update. I only updated bios because i got into strange A2 boot stuck, i know why, but i was restarting like demon, so maybe board was a bit tried:)

Now im able to boot but only with -x flag, otherwise i got kernel panic, but this is other story..

I made progress, now i managed to get booting into clover on GPT disk, i would like to say, exacly how but i only how that i found other guide and trying clover checkboxes something with RC scripts, clover panel and themes.. and voila its working.

After bios update, i even see GPT disk EUFI option in boot menu, i wasnt there before and i working also in legacy mode. Im a bit angry in Bios release notes wasnt anything about some UEFI enhancment or update. I only updated bios because i got into strange A2 boot stuck, i know why, but i was restarting like demon, so maybe board was a bit tried:)

Now im able to boot but only with -x flag, otherwise i got kernel panic, but this is other story..

Glad you got it somewhat working :)I also had kernel panics yesterday when I finally got my bootloader working. I legit tried all the bootloaders and lastly I ended up trying to install the legacy clover boot loader which odly was the only one to work (I have an UEFI mobo)... However, the kernel panic you are experiencing should not be hard so solve, mine was a simple "AppleNullPowermanagement.kext" or something like that. All I had to do to solve it was to download the kext from the download section of this site and then install it using Kext Wizard. Now I can boot into El capitan without problem using only my hdd :)

However, it would make solving you kernel problem way easier if you tried booting your hackintosh with "-v" only. not -x. Without the -x as you say, you will run into the kernel panic but that is what you want happening when trying to solve it. Run with only -v and see what the kernel panic says. For me it is usually some rows from the end. something involving "com.apple.xxxxxxxx" xxxxxx being the specific kext or kernel problem :)

Try with bootflag -v and see where it gets stuck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back