Contribute
Register

Can the Nvidia NVS 510 be used in the Dell Optiplex 7080 (10th gen)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 9010 SFF (051FJ8 A02)
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, I'd like to upgrade my 3 monitor hackintosh setup from my current Optiplex 9010 (3rd gen) using the NVS 510 and running BigSur (OC v0.8.0). I've been unsuccessful in getting this NVS 510 to work in the Optiplex 7080 (10th gen). I can't get any display output when I boot up with this card in the 7080 (using the onboard DP output works fine). Is there something I'm missing? Does this card not work with the 7080 board?

If that's the case, what would be the latest Optiplex that I could use the NVS 510 card in (running BigSur)? I like this card because it's super quiet even when powering 3 2K displays. I've tried the VisionTek Radeon 7750 in the 7080 and it works but the fan is crazy loud.

Looking at the 7080 spec sheet, it says `PCIe bus up to Gen 3.0` and the NVS 510's bus is PCIe 2.0 x16, so it should work.

With the NVS installed in the 7080 and when using the onboard DP output, in Bios, it is recognizing the NVS but when I try with a display out of the NVS, nothing. Is there anything I can modify in Bios for this to work?

Thanks!

6q3dcmh7j7q91.png

With the NVS installed in the 7080 and when using the onboard DP output, in Bios, it is recognizing the NVS but when I try with a display out of the NVS, nothing. Is there anything I can modify in Bios for this to work?
Try enabling Legacy Option ROMs in the BIOS.

Try enabling Legacy Option ROMs in the BIOS.
Thanks for the quick response! I looked in BIOS and there's no setting to enable Legacy Option ROMs :(

Read more about it and it seems Dell started removing this option from computers made in 2020 onwards.

Do you know if there's a newer model of the NVS 510 that would work with UEFI boot only?

Do you know if there's a newer model of the NVS 510 that would work with UEFI boot only?
It's a Nvidia Kepler card from 2013. All other Kepler cards will act the same.

You'd need to go with a natively supported AMD card. Those cost more though. Starting at around $100 USD. The NVS 510 now sells for under $30 in the used market.

Look for a WX4100 AMD card on Ebay. You might find a reasonable price. That card will allow future upgrades to Monterey and Ventura.

The WX4100 has the same 4 mini DP outputs that the NVS 510 has. It is also 4 years newer.

Screen Shot.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining that. I'll try and get a WX4100.

Just an update that I got a WX4100 and it works in the Optiplex 7080 SFF. Driving 3 2K monitors and hardly any fan noise from the gpu. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back