Contribute
Register

Can one use Hackintosh approach to "repair" a defect iMac 27" 2009-2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev. 1.1
CPU
i5-3225
Graphics
HD 4000
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I think one may use the internal graphics of Ivy Processors (2011) - and perhaps some kext to install a hackintosh on the regular Apple board. Is this crazy - or doable easy?

I think one may use the internal graphics of Ivy Processors (2011) - and perhaps some kext to install a hackintosh on the regular Apple board. Is this crazy - or doable easy?
if the GPU is defected then not sure how you will be able to use it no matter what operating system you use

The i3, i5, i7 from second generation, Ivy processors, have a graphic card included, can one "activate" those with a kext? I mean HD4000, HD2500 - if the defect graphic card is not totally defect, but can support the signal through to the monitor (I mean something like changing the BIOS from which graphic card to start and choose the HD4000 from the processor igp?... just my brainstorming idea.

P.S.: I think most imac users don't know hackintosh, but companies repair the graphics cards by "just" replacing one chip, which might have been overheated, but that means, most of the connections may work... but I guess it is not working the way I think, or nobody ever tried?

I think the idea is ok.

Graphics switching between iGPU and dGPU is a typical capability of Macbooks.

OCLP is already used to work around getting unsupported Mac HW to run later OS. So seems like WEG could be loaded to do stuff like disable dGPU and configure iGPU.

But in your iMac the problem may be the there's no circuitry between the iGPU and the display, or the chip has no iGPU.

Ask about it over at Macrumors "Unsupported" forums, where the community is focused on actual Macs.

Ask about it over at Macrumors "Unsupported" forums, where the community is focused on actual Macs.

OP, I don't think you will find what you are looking for, just replace the dGPU. Thread on replacing the dGPU

Depending on the card replacement, it sort of becomes a Hackintosh as I had to flash a card, do solder mods, and use OpenCore to get my 2011 iMac 27" to work correctly (Xeon, so no sleep either). Running HS and Big Sur.

HackSystem.jpg

HackBootLoader.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back