Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
i have a p55m-ud2 with a I5-750, and I am wanting to hyperthread. From what I've read that can't be done. So can I just switch out my I5 with an I7? will I need to reinstall my os, or will it just see the new CPU and work without reinstalling anything?

Chris

Just swap out your processors, then make sure you go into BIOS and make the advanced CPU options that you want active. The OS should be fine as the audio, LAN and graphics are going to be the same.

Swapping out the CPU should be enough. Obviously get an i7 compatible with the 1156 socket type. Aside from that, I don't think any modifications will be needed. You might have to change your system definition, but don't quote me on that. Good luck. :thumbup:

Ok thanks, does anyone know the difference in i7 2600 and the 2600 k? Looking at the spec sheets the have the same specs. In theory with the hyperthreading, my computer should significantly faster right?

Both are the same thing, only difference is that the 2600k has its multiplier unlocked. Basically meaning you can overclock it easier, as opposed to the 2600 with its locked multiplier. Just FYI though, Sandy Bridge processors are 1155, and your P55-UD2 is 1156, so unless you plan on getting another motherboard the i7 2600/k won't be compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back