Graphics
gigabyte hd6850OC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi there! been lurking a while so about time I joined up. I aim to follow the customac pro with a minor addition. Here is my prospective build:

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Intel i7-950
OCZ 6GB DDR3 1600MHz tripple kit
Gigabyte HD5770 1GB HDMI
2 x Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB
Sony Optiarc
Cooler Master Silent Gold 800W
OSX 10.6.3 retail

I will be using the computer for music production and photo editing only. I understand that there are some problems with this card and booting to 64bit. If I boot in 32bit but run Logic in 64bit will I encounter any problems? Any issues with using the HDMI output? (I use a sony bravia 32" 1080i for my monitor).
I will not be using the computer for internet so ethernet and wireless are not important. I will be using an external firewire soundcard.

Thanks,

skallion said:
Hi there! been lurking a while so about time I joined up. I aim to follow the customac pro with a minor addition. Here is my prospective build:

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Intel i7-950
OCZ 6GB DDR3 1600MHz tripple kit
Gigabyte HD5770 1GB HDMI
2 x Samsung spinpoint F3 1TB
Sony Optiarc
Cooler Master Silent Gold 800W
OSX 10.6.3 retail

I will be using the computer for music production and photo editing only. I understand that there are some problems with this card and booting to 64bit. If I boot in 32bit but run Logic in 64bit will I encounter any problems? Any issues with using the HDMI output? (I use a sony bravia 32" 1080i for my monitor).
I will not be using the computer for internet so ethernet and wireless are not important. I will be using an external firewire soundcard.

Thanks,

It is now possible to have a 64 bit system with that set up, I've got the same but different RAM and CPU. Some people have said the 920 is better than the 930, so could save some cash there for the 920.

With regards to RAM I'd very carefully check the supported RAM list from the Gigabyte Website for this motherboard. I bought my 2000 Mhz OCZ as it was on the list and now it's been removed. I'd try and buy some RAM that supports "XMP Profiles" and it should save you some hassles is setting the RAM up in your BIOS - the XMP profiles set all the correct speed and timing settings for your RAM straight off the bat.

Saying that MacMan has got the OCZ 1600 RAM working a treat without any problems.

What I've learnt since building my hack is that none of this is an exact science and be prepared for some time reading forums and tweaking settings.

Thanks for the heads up on the RAM. Did you mean that the 920 is better than the 950? as I did not propose a 930 in my first post. Why is that? Are people getting better overclocks?
I will be getting a scythe v2 so could possibly be interested in a little overclocking action. Will probably also go with the fanless HD5770 HDMI as well to save some dB.

Is also consider a different GFX card if you are not gaming. A lot of the nVidia cards work out of the box with latest version of snow leopard & graphics update. Have a look at Lnx2Mac 's build for his silent 9800 ( I think, double check on his blog ) But can't remember if it has HDMI output or not.

Also note that it's a bit tricky to get the audio working on the HDMI out.

Yeah, 950 or 930 would work but do you need the extra CPU?

Realised that I'm sounding all doom and gloom but I went for some extra speed in my RAM and it's caused me loads of troubles with stability plus I have a funny problem with the DVI out on that 5770 card where as an old nVidia 8800 worked out of the box.

Also check out my thread on OSX Basics on BIOS settings and hardware testing. Make sure you test your RAM and CPU for a good 24 hours to Burn In the components to make sure they all run ok before installing too much stuff. Again I only learnt about all that after my 30 return period was up with my retailer.

At the moment is trade stability over speed and just want a rock solid system that I don't NEED TO tweak for hours. It's a good learning experience tho and the guys here are very helpful.

Thanks man. Although I won't be gaming, I would much rather have HDMI for playing movies and generally working with logic. The sounds no problem as I have an external FireWire setup that hooked up to my studio monitors and 5.1
I Need as much CPU as possible whi h is another benefit for having a decent gfx as nebula plugins can utilize the GPU.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply, very much Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back