CPU
i5-2410m
Graphics
HD 3000 & RX 490m
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So 2 days ago I made edits to my dsdt and ended up with a black screen on boot.
Deleting dsdt didn't work and updating the file in the post "black screen after updating to 10.7.2" didn't work.
I managed to get into my s/l install ok but it's not fully functional (no qe/ci, no wifi, processor and graphics show as unknown).
I copied my files from my lion install to my s/l install as it would take hours to put it back as it was.
I deleted my Lion install and obviously my bootloader no longer works.
I tried chameleon again and it wouldn't recognise it, neither did chimera or champlist.
So with my windows install already screwed I decided to put Ubuntu (Linux) on here temporarily on partition 4 (in place of windows) and AFTER UPDATING from 10.10 to 11.04 it would no longer boot up. The grub bootloader wouldn't boot osx before the update anyway.
I tried to reinstall windows, deleted the ubuntu partition in the process but it failed to install, gave the error about the disk being gpt so I knew I had to go back to os x and re-create a fat32 partition so I did and while I was there I tried running chameleon again. When I pressed reset and removed the disk it didn't show up with the grub bootloader but it did mention it. I rebooted into osx and run chameleon again this time installing into EFI and even that didn't work.
I've just installed windows which is what i'm on now and obviously that bootloader works fine but i'd like to know something which might be for future reference for me or someone else. I also haven't tried reinstalling chameleon since installing Windows yet.

Where is grub normally installed? I deleted partition 4 where I installed ubuntu so surely that SHOULD have been deleted too?
Why am I back in the same boat with not being able to install a bootloader? answers on a postcard please!
And isn't chameleon meant to overwrite grub???

Only relevant thing I can think of is that I have a 4k sector drive

Was the black screen happening when booting on battery only?
There is a well known issue where the screen is dim but it will come right back when using the fn + brightness key.

Grub installs to the MBR. you need it to install to the root of your hard drive, then use gpt sync.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back