MSI Z590 Torpedo
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi there,

since a couple of months, I believe it came with Ventura, I'm having a weird issue with my Magic Keyboard. I have a Fenvi T919 card which works flawlessly. I don't have any other bluetooth issues with any of my devices besides this. At first I suspected my USB ports, but as I said I don't have any issues with my Magic Mouse. I can use my Magic Mouse almost right away as soon as macOS has finished booting. My keyboard, however, isn't being recognized until I:
a) manually reconnect it in the bluetooth menu or
b) turn it off and on again.
Then the "connected" message appears. But why can't I use it right away? I can use it in both the BIOS and the OC bootloader though!

So every time I boot up macOS, I can't use my Magic Keyboard no matter how long I wait and how many times I hit the keys, it's completely dead as if it isn't connected (but IT IS according to the bluetooth menu, it's even blue!).

I already tried my luck with removing and re-pairing. I also did a bluetooth reset via sudo pkill bluetoothd. But no success.

Any ideas on how to fix that? It's not a serious issue, but it's quite annoying and it wasn’t always like that.

Last edited:
No ideas? :(

Another strange detail is this: as I said, I can't use my keyboard right away after booting, but when I turn it off macOS is noticing that. It says "keyboard off". So in a way, the keyboard does seem to be connected, I just can't use it as long as I haven't turned it off and on again yet.

Doesn't anyone have any ideas where I could look? Could it be related to my port mapping (which I thought is perfectly fine though)? This is a minor issue, but it's still annoying and I'm sure it wasn't always like that.

This seems to be an issue with real Macs as well. You can wait to see if this gets fixed in future macOS updates. Meanwhile, for a temporary workaround, you may use Blueutil to toggle off and on bluetooth when logging in.

1. Build Blueutil from the source.
2. Install or copy Blueutil to usr/local/bin
3. Use Automator to build an Application to run shell script below

Code:
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
blueutil -p0 && blueutil -p1

4. Add this Application under "Login Items" to run at login.

Now that you mention it I see a couple of threads with that topic too, even in the official Apple forums. Maybe I had searched with the wrong keywords before.

Thanks for the workaround. Haven’t decided yet if I‘ll leave it as is and wait for Apple to fix it or check out your workaround. That depends on how much more it will bother me.

But knowing that there's nothing I can do except wait for an update is alright for now.

I've done some more testing and for my case, this was caused by DriverKit extension, AppleEthernetE1000 for I225 2.5GbE. Check your ioregistry to see if DEXT is attached to your I225 ethernet. If so, add boot-arg e1000=0 and see if this resolves the issue. What it does is, it prevents DriverKit extension from matching to the I225. It will either end up disabling the ethernet or load AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext for I225 if present in your EFI.

Update: The problem may have been addressed in Ventura 13.3 Beta. I am no longer having this issue while using DEXT for Intel I225 ethernet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back