Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU
Xeon X5650 OC 3.6GHz
Graphics
GTX 660
I bought the Blu-ray player that's currently listed in the buyer's guide: LG Internal UH12NS30 BD-ROM Blu-ray Optical Drive

For installation, I didn't do anything other than swap out the cables for my previous optical drive (which was an asus dvd burner).

After I put a disc in, it's fine for a while (up to 15 minutes?), and then it "falls off".

After it falls off, any process that tries to access the disc hangs (blu-ray player, the finder, changing directories to /Volumes/ in the terminal).

Running 10.10.2 at the moment.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

I stumbled over people discussing this issue as "sleeping".

I read two suggestions:

One is to turn on hot-swapping for that drive in the bios (I looked and looked through my bios and didn't see this option - if it's labeled in a way I'm not suspecting, I'd like to learn this).

The other is to disable Mac OS X from putting drives to sleep.

System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Put hard disks to sleep when possible (uncheck this).

With it unchecked, it seems to work fine - the optical disc does spin down when not being actively read. Obviously I'd rather allow my real HD to go to sleep if it were able, so this isn't optimal, but this at least tenable for now.

(Otherwise it's so bad that when it "falls off" (sleeps) you can't reboot - the OS hangs while trying to deal with drives it can't access).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back