Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 F5
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. MacBook
Hi everyone,

after a while, all of a sudden while I am doing things or even when I do nothing either the screen goes black or my Desktop does freeze.
[UPDATE 2017-02-05]: System does run on a Samsung EVO 850 500GB (MZ-75E500B).

with 10.12.2:
In case of the frozen Desktop situation, the "spinning colored wheel (luck wheel)" does appear. After a while the arrow of the mouse comes back but all of the windows and everything else does stay frozen. A while later I get the spinning wheel again and a short time later the system does make a restart on its own. The only thing that does not freeze is the mouse symbol.

[UPDATE 2017-02-05] with 10.12.3:
In case of a frozen Desktop - Mouse is moveable with arrow symbol. No "luck wheel" anymore.
If audio (music, videos...) does play while you are getting a black or frozen screen the audio would keep still running for more then 20 seconds and would then abort.

InjectATI = active (Graphics Card: Radeon HD 6850)

Here you find the link to my actual build with more details of the problem (it is no longer a Yosemite-Build which is subject of the link below, so I decided to open up this new thread from above):
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ibeast-6-from-lion.210344/page-2#post-1413151

Do you know that problem?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

after a while, all of a sudden while I am doing things or even when I do nothing either the screen goes black or my Desktop does freeze.
In case of the frozen Desktop situation, the "spinning colored wheel (luck wheel)" does appear. After a while the arrow of the mouse comes back but all of the windows and everything else does stay frozen. A while later I get the spinning wheel again and a short time later the system does make a restart on its own. The only thing that does not freeze is the mouse symbol.

InjectATI = active (Graphics Card: Radeon HD 6850)

Here you find the link to my actual build with more details of the problem (it is no longer a Yosemite-Build which is subject of the link below, so I decided to open up this new thread from above):
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ibeast-6-from-lion.210344/page-2#post-1413151

Do you know that problem?

Sounds like a Kernel Panic to me. Can you attach all files, Clover folder from EFI removing themes, ioreg & panic log ZIP attach. [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg | tonymacx86.com

Attachments

• EFI-CLOVER.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 113
  • IORegistryExplorer-File.ioreg
    2.5 MB · Views: 86
Hi, hope this is what you asked for. Otherwise, please let me know. Thanx :)

Not quite sure what SSDT-SB-i7.aml is. It doesn't look like a SSDT for Powermanagement to me. Using the incorrect SMBIOS use iMac 12,2 as you're using Radeon Graphics. CsrActiveConfig should be 0x67 not 0x3. Not quite sure on why you're using KernelPM it is not needed for Sandy Bridge. Take a look at generating a SSDT for Powermanagement remove SSDT-SB-i7.aml and replace with SSDT.aml Take a look Quick Guide to Generate a SSDT for CPU Power Management

Not quite sure what SSDT-SB-i7.aml is. It doesn't look like a SSDT for Powermanagement to me. Using the incorrect SMBIOS use iMac 12,2 as you're using Radeon Graphics. CsrActiveConfig should be 0x67 not 0x3. Not quite sure on why you're using KernelPM it is not needed for Sandy Bridge. Take a look at generating a SSDT for Powermanagement remove SSDT-SB-i7.aml and replace with SSDT.aml Take a look Quick Guide to Generate a SSDT for CPU Power Management

I am using an i7-2700k Sandy Bridge CPU, so as I did the PostInstallation process in MultiBeast I did chose under CUSTOMIZE -> SSDT Options -> Sandy Bridge Core i7, in case of maximum support:

P1080270small.jpg

Setup of MultiBeast:

Maybe this could be important to know too: I haven't used any option of the "Quik Start" in MultiBeast.
~~ Have changed the System Definition back to iMac 12,2. ~~
Moved the SSDT-SB-i7.aml from the EFI into the trash bin. But haven't emptied it yet.
Changed CsrActiveConfig to 0x67 in config.plist:
CsrActiveConfig should be 0x67 not 0x3.

As next, I have tried to finish the steps as told under Quick Guide to Generate a SSDT for CPU Power Management
but the process of that:
4. For default SSDT generation, type:
Code (Text):
sudo ~/ssdtPRGen.sh

..does abort, cause of the error "unknown processor model":
P1080271smallEdit.jpg

Tried to fix it with:
From RehabMan's guide:

Note: If you have a CPU currently unsupported by the script, you may have to provide the data for it.

For example, i7-4720HQ:
Code:
./ssdtPRGen.sh -p 'i7-4710HQ' -f 2600 -turbo 3600
By providing the name 'i7-4710HQ' (similar enough to i7-4720HQ), and overrides for the non-turbo and turbo frequencies, the script is successful. Eventually, it would not be necessary, provided the script is updated with the new CPUs.
... so in my case I used: ./ssdtPRGen.sh -p 'i7-2700K' -f 3500 -turbo 3900
Result: No difference = no success.

Last edited:
I get the feeling that I am not done yet with setting up the system right. I am questioning my self if Clover is already setup right.

Cause the problem does still appear.

So I found this hint:
To produce a DSDT.aml press "F4" on Clover boot screen. Hold it down and enter your HFS (in my case Sierra on SSD called "Sierra_SSD"). This would fill up the folder "origin" (right there where you also find the folder "patched") in "ACPI" with lots of .aml-files such as the DSDT.aml and a SSDT-0.aml. (Talking here about the EFI partition and file directory "CLOVER")

Actually, cause of the lack of knowledge I don´t know how to set everything in Clover right so that it would work proper. But I know some little now after reading over this description catalog (hope I am allowed to post this link): https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration#Config.plist-structure

1. So maybe do you know a general well described Guide on how to set up Clover right?
2. Which editor could I us to have a readable look on the code of the SSDT and DSDT?
3. Can someone send me his SSDT of an i7-2700k or similar (2600, 2600k, 2700) so that I can compare it with the one that clover produces (called "SSDT-0.aml") ?

Thanx guys!

Last edited:
Problem found and solved. Sierra does not stable support the Sapphire Radeon HD 6850.
Have removed it from the Motherboard and did inject the I7 GPU HD 3000 via Clover (=config.plist) + installed the MultiBeast-Kext for HD 3000. Connection via Onboard Motherboard HDMI port to the monitor.
That works. But the resolution is not satisfying.

For that reason I've bought a EVGA GTX 960 SC (4GB) (https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/february/2017#Graphics_Cards). Haven't tested it yet. Will leave a comment as soon as I have done that.

[Update 2017-02-18]:
The Graphic Card works just fine/stable with the NVIDIA WEB DRIVER for Sierra 10.12.3 from this post:

How to config the config.plist file in case of the (NVIDIA) EVGA GTX 960 just have a look right here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...for-macos-sierra-10-12-1-367-15-10-15.205568/

For future driver updates you will find the (latest) NVIDIA WebDriver Version(s) here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/

Last edited:
One further update on that one. At this link...:
Take a look at generating a SSDT for Powermanagement remove SSDT-SB-i7.aml and replace with SSDT.aml Take a look Quick Guide to Generate a SSDT for CPU Power Management
...you will find this comment of Tony.:

List of Core i Desktop CPUs supported by Piker Alpha's ssdtPRGen

Sandy Bridge System Definitions:
Mac-942B5BF58194151B:iMac12,1
Mac-942B59F58194171B:iMac12,2
Mac-8ED6AF5B48C039E1:Macmini5,1
Mac-4BC72D62AD45599E:Macmini5,2
Mac-7BA5B2794B2CDB12:Macmini5,3
Mac-94245B3640C91C81:MacBookPro8,1
Mac-94245A3940C91C80:MacBookPro8,2
Mac-942459F5819B171B:MacBookPro8,3
Mac-C08A6BB70A942AC2:MacBookAir4,1

But this is not working very well for me, since I'm using Clover now. If I setup of my SMBIOS to an iMac12,1 or iMac12,2 it would cause an unstable but running system. For example, when I turned on my AudioInterface connected via FireWire to the HacMac that would cause again a 50:50%chance of a frozen desktop screen. And every time I watched a video in FullHD or with grater resolution, I kept getting a hanging and leaking video output on my monitor (with the new EVGA GTX960).

Solution to all of that was changing the SMBIOS setup to iMac16,2. Now, everything is very stable and does run very smooth. Tried it also with MacPro5,1 and 6,1. That did cause a black screen after half way through at the Apple logo loading screen.

So it's done now. Great. Cheers guys... :wave::headbang:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back