Contribute
Register

BIOS not loading from UEFI bootable USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz 8MB-L3 Turbo/HT/IntelHD Sockel 1151 (Skylake)
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050Ti WindForce OC 4GB GDDR5
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I'm not too much into Hackintosh but made it some years ago to install High Sierra with my custom iMac. Now I wanted to update to Catalina and configure some more features (bluetooth, front-USB, ...)

My setup is (see profile):

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050Ti

I was following the installation guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...alina-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.285366/ and created an USB drive (32GB SanDisk) with UEFI using GUID schema. cat ~/Library/Logs/UniBeast.log shows nothing special but success. My Gigabyte UEFI DualBios I configured with optimised defaults, VT-d disabled, disabled secure boot mode, XHCI handoff enabled, ... (see screenshots). After booting I see the USB as "UEFI SanDisk Cruzer Edge 1.26, Partition 1" and expect this to be correct (see screenshot from diskutil list). But after this the BIOS freezes without any message (e.g. not saying it is not a bootable device) and will not boot anything. Used also other USB ports but still the same.

Don't have any clue why. Even tested with same USB stick and an Ubuntu which works fine. Did I missed something? Can someone help?

Thanks
Lars

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 13.05.36.png

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 17.33.06.png

IMG_8199.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9210.jpg
    IMG_9210.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5342.jpg
    IMG_5342.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5077.jpg
    IMG_5077.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3076.jpg
    IMG_3076.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1995.jpg
    IMG_1995.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 127
I can't help you yet! I have a similar motherboard (Gigabyte z170x gaming 7), and same processor. My usb drive is bootable. Clover starts like normal, and I select the USB drive and it moves to the Apple icon screen but I never get a progress bar. I'm pretty sure I have all the recommended settings enabled or respectively disabled on in the UEFI.

Since I'm home for the foreseeable future, I'll be checking in on this thread!

... update from my side. Gave it one more try and now it is booting and installing Catalina. But it was taking ages. Let you know if everything worked out :)

... update from my side. Gave it one more try and now it is booting and installing Catalina. But it was taking ages. Let you know if everything worked out :)

The GTX 1050 Ti is not supported on MacOS Catalina due to lack of Nvidia drivers. If you want to run Catalina fully (meaning full graphics acceleration), please remove the card and (1) use CPU integrated graphics, or (2) replace it with a supported graphics card. In the second case an AMD card like RX 580 or RX 5500 XT is recommended for future support.

Installing failed for the reason you mentioned, the GTX 1050 Ti is not supported :-/
I will go with HighSierra now, which still has the drivers for my graphics. But thanks a lot for your answer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back