1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted here. I had a build running succesfully on Mojave but since I had an Nvidia on my build the OS update could only go as far as Mojave.

So I decided to keep Nvidia for WIN10 and get a second AMD-based GPU for the hack, a Radeon RX580, which should run natively on Big Sur. My problem happens early on as I am not able to boot the Big Sur USB no matter what I try.

Tried loading the EFI with latest versions of Clover and OpenCore and also used ready-made EFI folders from people on here with very similar setups. I have also uplugged all USB devices and also pulled one GPU out to test in case any conflicts, all without success.

In all cases, it just boots into BIOS screen every time.

I updated my Maximus IX Hero to the latest firmware and disabled: VT-d, XMP, CSM, Fast boot (think that's it). Select the UEFI USB option as the only boot option but still the same issue.

I formatted the USB as Mac OS Journaled GUID, I downloaded the latest Big Sur file from Apple's servers via the terminal. Then copied it over to USB using the terminal command. Tried both an old config.plist and a new one which I based on what's in the EFI folders using ProperTree.

As a note, I had the dual GPU setup running fine while on Mojave. One of the EFIs I tried on the USB was the backup of that succesful Mojave build, with no luck.

Hackintosh feels more complicated than when I last tried succesfully, at least booting to USB was the easy part.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

UPDATE: I followed Dortania's OpenCore guide again with some progress. I got to a point where I get this black screen error on boot: OC: Configuration requires vault but no vault provided!

UPDATE2:
Set Vault to Optional from Secure in config.plist and it got me to the OC boot screen. Asking to choose an OS to boot from but no options there (except OpenShell.efi), not even my WIN10 boot. Definetely some progress but not sure why no options there.

UPDATE3: Finally, I set ScanPolicy to 0 in config.plist and was able to see Big Sur installer and boot.

UPDATE4: Guess what? Installer did start but was in Russian, the default language set in OpenCore apparently! So I went back in to the config.plist and changed prev-lang:kbd to en-US:0 or you can go to where the File menu option would be in Recovery and click the first option which brings up a language option screen.

UPDATE5:
The next issue encountered is an error during the first part of installation with 14 minutes remaining: "An error occurred loading the update". Plugging an ethernet cable to see if that works, as some comments suggest.

Last edited:
Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted here. I had a build running succesfully on Mojave but since I had an Nvidia on my build the OS update could only go as far as Mojave.

So I decided to get a second GPU, a Radeon RX580, which should run natively on Big Sur. My problem happens early on as I am not able to boot the Big Sur USB no matter what I try.

Tried loading the EFI with latest versions of Clover and OpenCore and also used ready-made EFI folders from people on here with very similar setups. I have also uplugged all USB devices They all just boot into BIOS screen every time.

I updated my Maximus IX Hero to the latest firmware and disable: VT-d, XMP, CSM, Secure boot, think that's it. Select the UEFI USB option as the only boot option but still the same issue.

I formatted the USB as Mac Journaled GUID, I downloaded the latest Big Sur file from Apple's servers via the terminal. Then copied it over to USB using the terminal command. Tried both an old config.plist and a new one which I based on what's in the EFI folders using ProperTree.

Hackintosh feels more complicated than when I last tried succesfully, at least booting to USB was the easy part.

Because of the behaviour being the same (booting to BIOS every time) I wonder if this is hardware/BIOS related. Next, I might try and pull out the second GPU for installation and see how that works. Any ideas would be appreciated!
i have moved your post to desktop support

also please update your hardware profile with your AMD graphics card please

i have moved your post to desktop support

also please update your hardware profile with your AMD graphics card please
Thanks Feartech!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back