Big Sur Install Crashes after I select disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus XII Hero
CPU
Graphics
5700xt
Hi guys I need some help I am have some trouble getting Mac OS to actually install. I've tried installing multiple ways, and the same problem keeps happening. Once I get into the recovery menu and select my disk from the install option nothing actually happens and it goes back to the main menu. I've tried this on a m.2 nvme drive and on a normal sata drive. I've also tried this with a internet recovery made in windows, as well as a installer made in Mac with the full image.

System Specs:
Intel 10850k
Asus Hero XII Wifi mobo
Corsair 32gb Ram
Asus Strix 5700xt
Samsung 970plus NVME M.2
Samsung 850 Sata SSD

I've attached my EFI folder. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    14.6 MB · Views: 58
Hi - Not really familiar with the specs of your rig, Iv'e had a look at your config.plist and can't see much wrong apart from the one setting (see pic) don't know if that would cause the problem you're having but worth a shot. Also double check your BIOS settings as the wrong ones can cause an adverse effect to prevent a successful boot up. Any changes you make, it's always best to clean the NvRAM before a boot up. Good luck.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-06 at 07.43.42.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-06 at 07.43.42.png
    165.9 KB · Views: 38
I tried that and unfortunately the same thing happens. As soon as I select the disk for install it just crashes back to the main options screen. My bios settings match what's required in the open core comet lake install. I've tried different USB ports as well.

So I've gone though and removed everything but a sata drive to rule out the nvme drives, and still the same behavior.

Long shot here but try the install on a different drive possibly a SSD Drive just to prove the NVME drive is not suspect although I'd be very surprise if it is. Another idea, make sure the NVME Drive is in the top slot and detach the SSD Drive during the install for the time being. Good luck.

So no matter what I did I couldn't get it to install. I tried 3 different NVMe drives, a regular sata ssd, nothing worked. In the end what I did was cloned the Big Sur install that I have on my MBP and then replaced the EFI with open cores. Now everything pretty much works. It thinks the machine has a battery though, and tells me it's running on UPS power. I'm sure that can be fixed though.

I fixed that problem with USB mapping. The system was picking up my corsair commander pro as a UPS. Quick disable of that port and no more ups warning.

I fixed that problem with USB mapping. The system was picking up my corsair commander pro as a UPS. Quick disable of that port and no more ups warning.
Hey, just encounted same problem as you and I also have that commander pro. How did you disable that port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back