Contribute
Register

? Better to avoid HDMI out cards for dual monitors or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte P44M-UD4
CPU
i7 860
Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

Picking a 9800GT card and wondering if there are any issues with the HDMI output of these cards in OSX. I am running dual digital output monitors, both have HDMI and DVI inputs. I would think it is totally covered within the card, no worries, but saw the post below.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=786

Is it safer to get dual DVI outputs, or are folks having good luck with DVI and HDMI for their two outputs? I realize DVI and HDMI are the same technology for video (HDMI just carries audio as well). Most cards now have one DVI and one HDMI.

But most video cards will only output from two of their three outputs, so not sure if that was the problem, or a larger issue with HDMI.

The Mac Pro I have at work has a ATI 4850, but one output is DisplayPort and one DVI, so we use a dongle to convert the display port. I have not seen an Apple computer with a true HDMI output from their cards (but I don't see alot of Apple desktop hardware).

Would you encourage a dual DVI output, or it doesn't matter?

Thank You.

Im running 9500GT card in each box with two HDMI capable monitors on each

one of the three outputs on the card to each of the two monitors HDMI port

one is fed from DVI out (via a DVI to HDMI cable)

other fed from the HDMI output straight into HDMI on monitor

although above works fine, I'd actually prefer two DVI outs on the card being fed to the DVI port on each monitor

a - cos Id have higher refresh rates than the 1080p 60Hz rate I get when using the monitors HDMI input

b - cos the monitors have different color presets available depending on wether they're getting fed via their DVI port or their HDMI port.

Hence the reason I'm currently running the DVI output on the card into monitor 1's HDMI (so I get identical settings to what monitor 2 gets from the cards HDMI port), rather than sending that DVI output direct to monitor 1's DVI port.

With 2 DVI outputs on the card I could acheive that with better refresh rates

Thank You.

My Nvidia GT 240 is using the DVI port for a 24" HP LP2475W as a main monitor and then the HDMI out goes to a 55" Sony SXRD. I've also run the HDMI directly into the back of a Sony DA5200ES receiver. In Snow Leopard, I haven't had any issues. The only issues seem to occur in Windows 7 when windows forget which monitor they are supposed to run on. My only real disappointment is that sound through the HDMI only works in Windows.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back