Graphics
nvidia 220gt
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Has anyone had any luck getting audio through 200 series graphics cards via HDMI?

As far as I know, yes, you can get it done.

If I were you I would look for a post by tmongol over at insanelymac.

It won't be easy reading, but if you are really into HDMI audio then it might be your best bet.
It involves editing your DSDT and changing some kexts.

I've been looking for an HDMI solution for a 5850 card, but no dice.

good luck.

I have HDMI audio working on both of my systems: GA-P55M-UD4/GT240 and DFI-P55-T36/GT240. I used the tmongol method as noted above. Both of those motherboards use the ALC885 codec which is supported natively in the AppleHDA kext. Further, The GT220 is also native in that kext. I patched the AppleHDA kext for the GT240 Device ID as described. I use the same kext in both systems. The Device HDEF and Device PEGP sections are modified and Device GFX0 and Device HDAU are added in each DSDT as described. This approach has worked in 10.6.3 and 10.6.4. At this point, I have not had any success with any other codec, though tmongol got his ALC662 working with a GT240 successfully.

Regarding the ATI HD5XXX, I just received my new iMac with the 5750 card. Though I have not connected the iMac to my HDTV, I have looked at the IORegistryExplorer and it shows GFX and HDAU in the same relationships I see on the machines noted above. Perhaps, tmongol has more insight.

When you say you patched the AppleHDA, can you be more specific?

What do you mean by patched?

thank you.

Re: Patching AppleHDA kext.

Please check tmongkol post at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941. Under the paragraph 10.6.3 is a link to download a patch tutorial. Of greater interest is the link at the end of this post which describes how to enable HDMI audio on the GT 240. That is the guide I used. Good luck.

Thank you for the link.

About the GT240:
This method does not work for the Radeon 5xxx series, correct?

thnx.

toleda said:
Re: Patching AppleHDA kext.

... Of greater interest is the link at the end of this post which describes how to enable HDMI audio on the GT 240. That is the guide I used. Good luck.

Quick question. For those who have this working with the new methods, does it pass through advanced codecs or 5.1? I'm using the optical out for dolby digital right now, but would definitely prefer to use HDMI. When I tried VoodooHDA months ago it worked, but only 2 channel audio.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back