HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey Everybody,

I just recently started to research loads about building my first Hackintosh soon but I would want to have a few things figured out before I do anything.

I'm been lurking around and the forum seems to conclude that 6850/6870 is one of the most compatible/best bang for buck GPUs for any hackintosh. But I've have also heard the other part of the story about Nvidia cards actually being easier to setup (although 6850/6870 work oob) because for Nvidia cards you don't have to deal with framebuffers or any tinkering with the graphic kext? I was going to settle for the 6850/6870 (unless there will be support for 7xxx or mid-range 6xx cards in Mountain Lion) until I started to research about gaming on mac osx. I don't do that much gaming on computers aside from the big blizzard titles that also run on mac. I've been trying to find more information about gaming on hackintoshes (I don't want to reboot every time I play into windows). Also read somewhere that for Nvidia cards, although they have better drivers, they are not fully optimized for osx which leads to the conclusion they won't really be fully compatible/optimized for gaming even if you buy a high end card (a mid-range ati would be better than a high end nvidia on osx)?

Would a 6870 be 100% compatible/optimized in everything on osx (even for gaming)?

Also if possible can anyone post their experiences with gaming on a hackintosh? Read there were problems for people playing starcraft (being stuck at some survey etc).

Any input would be greatly appreciated?

find the most intensive game you want to play, and then ask for opinions.
as a blanket statement, most of the AppStore games will work with a high end card.

If you want to run win games in wrappers, you could have different problems.

andrec said:
find the most intensive game you want to play, and then ask for opinions.
as a blanket statement, most of the AppStore games will work with a high end card.

If you want to run win games in wrappers, you could have different problems.

Thanks for the input, but can you explain why "most" games work from the AppStore... not all? Basically my huge paragraph above can be summarized with "Will a 6850/6570 be fully optimized/working in osx"

Thanks

To say that all the AppStore games work well would be a bit of a stretch, considering that we are still using officially unsupported hardware.

I can't vouch for many games, as I'm not playing much. I can say that the AppStore Call of Duty 4 and Splinter Cell Conviction work well with Radeon 6870 on my hackintosh (albeit generating lots of heat). I didn't try any wrapped game.

andrec said:
To say that all the AppStore games work well would be a bit of a stretch, considering that we are still using officially unsupported hardware.

I can't vouch for many games, as I'm not playing much. I can say that the AppStore Call of Duty 4 and Splinter Cell Conviction work well with Radeon 6870 on my hackintosh (albeit generating lots of heat). I didn't try any wrapped game.

Thanks for your input? Just one last question, have you tried running the same games on windows? Does it generate the same amount of heat or is it just osx that makes it run at 100% regardless? Also which brand do you have for your 6870?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back