HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys,

I purchased a 4530s on eBay about a week ago and it came with the Realtek WiFi card. So I also bought what I believe is the correct Atheros AR5B195 Wifi card and put it in the Probook. The OS X installation went without a hitch except that the WiFi is not working. It shows in the Network preferences and is able to be turned on but cannot find any networks. Occasionally, when I'm sitting very close to my router, it will find my network but when I try to join it I just get the "Connection Timeout" error. It also shows up in the "System Information" pane as an airport extreme card. I've noticed that other people have run into the same problem here but all of the fixes listed have lead me nowhere. Does anybody have any ideas on how I can fix this? It's also probably worth noting that the WifI button on the Probook seems to do nothing. The light is orange and remains orange even after I press it with nothing noticeable happening within the OS. I've posted a picture of my System Information to show that the card is recognized by OS X. Could it be that the card I got is whitelisted? It seems to me like people with whitelisted cards get an error when they try to boot which I do not get. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-24 at 7.05.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-24 at 7.05.19 PM.png
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,468
Hey guys,

I purchased a 4530s on eBay about a week ago and it came with the Realtek WiFi card. So I also bought what I believe is the correct Atheros AR5B195 Wifi card and put it in the Probook. The OS X installation went without a hitch except that the WiFi is not working. It shows in the Network preferences and is able to be turned on but cannot find any networks. Occasionally, when I'm sitting very close to my router, it will find my network but when I try to join it I just get the "Connection Timeout" error. It also shows up in the "System Information" pane as an airport extreme card. I've noticed that other people have run into the same problem here but all of the fixes listed have lead me nowhere. Does anybody have any ideas on how I can fix this? It's also probably worth noting that the WifI button on the Probook seems to do nothing. The light is orange and remains orange even after I press it with nothing noticeable happening within the OS. I've posted a picture of my System Information to show that the card is recognized by OS X. Could it be that the card I got is whitelisted? It seems to me like people with whitelisted cards get an error when they try to boot which I do not get. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!

I think you would know if your card was not on the whitelist, since BIOS would give an error if the card it finds present is not on its whitelist. So I don't think that is an issue.

Since it is showing up and sometimes finding your network, I would tend to think that this is an antenna connection issue. So double check your installation to be sure you have the antenna leads properly connected.

I took the card out and reseated it and it's still having the same issue. I'm sure that the antennas are connected properly. It's interesting to note that some other people have had the same problems and have fixed it in different ways. One user reported that resetting the BIOS fixed the problem and another said that installing lnx2mac realtek driver fixed his WiFi problem. The 2nd seems really strange seeing as lynx2mac is an ethernet driver as far as I know. Anyway, I've tried both of those to no avail. Here's a link to the post that I'm talking about: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/65341-wifi-not-working-hp-probook-4530s.html

I took the card out and reseated it and it's still having the same issue. I'm sure that the antennas are connected properly. It's interesting to note that some other people have had the same problems and have fixed it in different ways. One user reported that resetting the BIOS fixed the problem and another said that installing lnx2mac realtek driver fixed his WiFi problem. The 2nd seems really strange seeing as lynx2mac is an ethernet driver as far as I know. Anyway, I've tried both of those to no avail. Here's a link to the post that I'm talking about: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/65341-wifi-not-working-hp-probook-4530s.html

You could also have a bad card...

It looks like that could be the case. I just installed the bluetooth kext in the probook installer and the bluetooth from the card is working correctly. The wifi button on the laptop is now white all of the time instead of orange but it doesn't turn off or on still. Could the card still be bad despite the bluetooth working correctly?

A little more search and I found someone with the exact same problem as me. Here's the link to his post.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77505-help-problem-atheros-ar9285-wifi-no-device-detected.html
I really appreciate your help! If I can't get it figured out within the next few days I'll have to just purchase another card. Thanks for helping!

Try the Wifi under Linux or Windows. If it doesn't work there, then it is either a bad card or bad installation.

Did you end up get it working? I've got all sorts of crazy things going on here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back