Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z170M-Plus
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
MSI R9 380
Hi, this is my first time of making a hackintosh on my computer, I will really appreciate if someone could solve this.

Searched so many posts about loading into installation, and I have no idea about this:

I portioned my 64GB USB to 32GB and created an Unibeast into the disk.

I initially selected "Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Mojave" then Apple Logo showed with loading bar below, and it turned into black screen after load bar finished, and my monitor showed no signal, which has no further informations because I waited for 5 mins and got nothing.

I modified the setting to verbose mode and installed macOS again, and many codes were scrolling down then it went back then my monitor showed no signal.

I recorded with my camera and the attached picture is the last scene before turning black screen.

If more pictures about scrolling code is needed, I can upload more pictures.

I used USB 2.0 port instead of 3.0 port to avoid issues from installing by unibeast 8.2 + 10.13.4 : STOP SIGN issue.

VT-d, CFG-Lock, Secure Boot Mode, and IO Serial Port are disabled.

I could not find the switch of XHCI handoff setting in BIOS.

My PC has two disks, one is Windows 10, and the other one is SSD for macOS.
Will it influence the process of installing macOS if one disk is installed with Windows?

My motherboard model: Asus Z170M-Plus
CPU: Intel i5-6600
Graphic Card: MSI AMD R9 380

Please help me, thank you!

Last edited:
Hi, this is my first time of making a hackintosh on my computer, I will really appreciate if someone could solve this.

Searched so many posts about loading into installation, and I have no idea about this:

I portioned my 64GB USB to 32GB and created an Unibeast into the disk.

I initially selected "Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Mojave" then Apple Logo showed with loading bar below, and it turned into black screen after load bar finished, and my monitor showed no signal, which has no further informations because I waited for 5 mins and got nothing.

I modified the setting to verbose mode and installed macOS again, and many codes were scrolling down then it went back then my monitor showed no signal.

I recorded with my camera and the attached picture is the last scene before turning black screen.

If more pictures about scrolling code is needed, I can upload more pictures.
View attachment 387577

I used USB 2.0 port instead of 3.0 port to avoid issues from installing by unibeast 8.2 + 10.13.4 : STOP SIGN issue.

I could not find the switch of XHCI handoff setting in BIOS.

My PC has two disks, one is Windows 10, and the other one is SSD for macOS.
Will it influence the process of installing macOS if one disk is installed with Windows?

My motherboard model: Asus Z170M-Plus
CPU: Intel i5-6600
Graphic Card: MSI AMD R9 380

Please help me, thank you!
  • Your Verbose boot screen shows a Graphics Card related Freeze
    • Are you sure your MSI AMD R9 380 Graphics is supported in Macos Mojave?
    • Until you find that out, I recommend removing MSI AMD R9 380 Graphics from PCIE slot and connect your Monitor's HDMI to Intel HD 530 HDMI after BIOS menu for Graphics is set to use IGFX(IGD) with DVMT Pre-Allocated Memory of minimum 64M and optimum at 128M.
    • You will also need CLOVER editing to support chosen IGFX
  • Every boot must be Verbose until successful installation

• Your Verbose boot screen shows a Graphics Card related Freeze
    • Are you sure your MSI AMD R9 380 Graphics is supported in Macos Mojave?
    • Until you find that out, I recommend removing MSI AMD R9 380 Graphics from PCIE slot and connect your Monitor's HDMI to Intel HD 530 HDMI after BIOS menu for Graphics is set to use IGFX(IGD) with DVMT Pre-Allocated Memory of minimum 64M and optimum at 128M.
    • You will also need CLOVER editing to support chosen IGFX
  • Every boot must be Verbose until successful installation

Thank you for replying this.

Unfortunately I don't have monitors supported HDMI ports, and if it succeeds while using integrated video card, I prefer running macOS with my external graphic card because of film editing.

I think I'm sure my graphic card is supported in macOS Mojave due to this article on ******.

I started to focus on the solutions based on my graphic card after reviewing your comment, thank you for mentioning problems about my graphic card, I guess I found the solutions from discussions of R9 380.

This is the first time doing this, I have no concept about plug-ins or something inside clover.

I'm trying to understand how to add kexts and what are kexts.

Last edited:
Thank you for replying this.

Unfortunately I don't have monitors supported HDMI ports, and if it succeed while using integrated video card, I prefer running macOS with my external graphic card because of film editing.

I think I'm sure my graphic card is supported in macOS Mojave due to this article on ******.

I started to focus on the solutions based on my graphic card after reviewing your comment, thank you for mentioning problems about my graphic card, I guess I found the solutions from discussions of R9 380.

This is the first time doing this, I have no concept about plug-ins or something inside clover.

Just like Windows and other OSes need drivers to communicate with the hardware and even some Applications as "middlemen", Mac also needs them but uses the term Kernel Extensions (compressed as kexts)

During boot it is the boot loader (CLOVER in Hackintosh) which has to immediately get to know the onboard devices to use them to boot the disk containing an OS (macOS in Hackintosh) .
In the case of Hackitosh's CLOVER, the "Other" folder in the EFI_CLOVER FileTree is where CLOVER 'sniffs' to detect kexts.
All other numbered kexts Folders, which are empty have no role in providing kexts, and are relics of the past OS X _macOS version and can be safely deleted.
kexts/ Other
ABSOLUTELY needs FakeSMC.kext (or VirtualSMC.kext), the kext that makes Windows hardware masquerade as Mac.
There are other kexts to avoid boot issues such as: USB related and Graphics related ones.

For some detail check : #10

Hope this helps

Just like Windows and other OSes need drivers to communicate with the hardware and even some Applications as "middlemen", Mac also needs them but uses the term Kernel Extensions (compressed as kexts)

During boot it is the boot loader (CLOVER in Hackintosh) which has to immediately get to know the onboard devices to use them to boot the disk containing an OS (macOS in Hackintosh) .
In the case of Hackitosh's CLOVER, the "Other" folder in the EFI_CLOVER FileTree is where CLOVER 'sniffs' to detect kexts.
All other numbered kexts Folders, which are empty have no role in providing kexts, and are relics of the past OS X _macOS version and can be safely deleted.
kexts/ Other
ABSOLUTELY needs FakeSMC.kext (or VirtualSMC.kext), the kext that makes Windows hardware masquerade as Mac.
There are other kexts to avoid boot issues such as: USB related and Graphics related ones.

For some detail check : #10

Hope this helps

Thank you for your explaining! I really appreciate.

I think I messed up my USB driver because I see two same EFI disks while injecting USB into my MacBook.

I will erase all data and start the progress again.

I'm sorry that I don't know about installing clover is needed before beginning installation of Hackintosh.

Here is what I am going to do next,

1. Erase disk and re-create a USB with Unibeast.
  2. Drag Mutibeast into the disk.
  3. Install Clover into the disk in which I put my macOS Mojave file.
  4. Put Clover configurator into the disk.
  5. Put kexts including FakeSMC.kext, Whatevergreen.kext, Lilu.kext into "Other" folder in EFI.

I will learn more about injecting kexts by using clover configurator, and I realize why a few people give up making a Hakintosh instead of buying a new mac device. It drives me crazy while installing OS even though I recognize I have many experiences of computer issues.

Thank you!

Erased all data and re-created a new boot USB by Unibeast, and put the clover configurator and Mutibeast in.

According to this, I added whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext to the folder "Other" in EFI disk.
Is it wrong that I just drag two kexts into EFI's kexts folder to make the kexts successfully attached?

And it just showed no signal again after scrolling codes finished.

BIOS is updated to latest version.

I am wondering which kext is the correct one I have to download to EFI.

Whatevergreen(link)
Lilu(Link)

I downloaded the Debug zips for both kext. and debug's kexts(Lilu: 153 KB; Whatevergreen: 557 KB) is smaller than release version(1.5 MB).

Does it matter?

Thank you!

Do I need to add some kexts for my CPU i5-6600 or use clover configurator to modify any codes or something before step into macOS installation?

Sorry, I want to help myself,
Hope you could help me. Thank you!!!

Thank you for your explaining! I really appreciate.

I think I messed up my USB driver because I see two same EFI disks while injecting USB into my MacBook.

I will erase all data and start the progress again.

I'm sorry that I don't know about installing clover is needed before beginning installation of Hackintosh.

Here is what I am going to do next,

1. Erase disk and re-create a USB with Unibeast.
  2. Drag Mutibeast into the disk.
  3. Install Clover into the disk in which I put my macOS Mojave file.
  4. Put Clover configurator into the disk.
  5. Put kexts including FakeSMC.kext, Whatevergreen.kext, Lilu.kext into "Other" folder in EFI.
I will learn more about injecting kexts by using clover configurator, and I realize why a few people give up making a Hakintosh instead of buying a new mac device. It drives me crazy while installing OS even though I recognize I have many experiences of computer issues.

Thank you!

Erase disk and re-create a USB with Unibeast.
  • This is correct.
  • But, Unibeast does 2 things on that Erased Disk . [Erase means: Partition (GUID in this case) + Format (HFS+J for Installer Disk)]
    • It copies the Mojave from Applications folder on to the "Erased" USB disk's 2nd larger partition formatted as HFS+J. You cannot see this process as everything is done with no Screen output.
    • Unibeast installs Clover EFI on the EFI Partition ( 200+MB FAT Formatted) with your input as to Legacy vs UEFI boot and Graphics Selection if available.
    • At the end of this CLOVER installation , the EFI Partition will be 'auto mounted" on the desktop for the First and ONLY time .
    • At this brief period when EFI is visible to you you can use your mouse and keyboard to navigate and check and if you want, edit all its CLOVERFile tree including config.plist.
  • It's my personal view (not stated in Unibeast Method), this is a good time to check everything inside the EFI Folder and if you have already searched successful installation with your hardware and helpful posters have uploaded screen shots or listed their CLOVER selections or uploaded their EFI or CLOVER from their USB to compare, to see if your CLOVER the Unibeast has made for you has a good chance to boot to CBM screen and then to macOS Utilities_Disk Utility screen to the selected HDD/SSD and install Mojave on it.
  • A failure to do this important step with blind reliance on Unibeast doing everything for you for a successful USB Installer creation, no matter what hardware you have chosen, is the single most common reason for making us busy in the Forum with long troubleshoot and Frustrated Posters.:banghead:
Drag Mutibeast into the disk.

• In my opinion, this seems to be a ritualistic step for most, not understanding its real purpose.
  • Multibeast is a Post Install tool with multiple tasks on the newly created macOS System Hard Disk /SSD
    • MB installs Clover EFI on the System Disk and
    • provides it with kexts in its Library/Extensions Folders and
    • hopefully creates the proper config.plist to be used during System Disk's boot
    • The booting function was done by the macOS USB Installer's CLOVER up to this point when the System Disk gets it own Working CLOVER.
    • The macOS System disk fails to boot after Multibeast install , why?
    • You guessed it right, Multibeast has not done a good job of giving the SSD the right CLOVER
Install Clover into the disk in which I put my macOS Mojave file.
Unibeast does this step but with your input as stated above.
If you are pasting a Clover EFI from Sourceforge on to the macOSMojave USB disk's space like you do with Multibeast for post- install use on the Mojave hard disk, there is no harm. But the term Installation is NOT pasting on blank space of Mojave USB Installer disk. Any software you 'drag and drop' on the USB Installer is NOT installation; it's piggyback ride.

• Put Clover configurator into the disk.
Yes you can piggyback CCG on USBInstaller disk like you do with Multibeast. It's a good idea. No need to hunt for it later from the new system disk.

Put kexts including FakeSMC.kext, Whatevergreen.kext, Lilu.kext into "Other" folder in EFI.
If you are doing this at the stage where you have seen Unibeast created auto-mounted EFI on the desktop and check its /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other, and finds it lacking important kexts, that is an excellent idea.
Unibeast sometimes forgets this step!
Now you are getting actively involved in making your USB Installer. :thumbup:

Erased all data and re-created a new boot USB by Unibeast, and put the clover configurator and Mutibeast in.

According to this, I added whatevergreen.kext and lilu.kext to the folder "Other" in EFI disk.
Is it wrong that I just drag two kexts into EFI's kexts folder to make the kexts successfully attached?

And it just showed no signal again after scrolling codes finished.

BIOS is updated to latest version.

I am wondering which kext is the correct one I have to download to EFI.

Whatevergreen(link)
View attachment 387862
Lilu(Link)
View attachment 387863

I downloaded the Debug zips for both kext. and debug's kexts(Lilu: 153 KB; Whatevergreen: 557 KB) is smaller than release version(1.5 MB).

Does it matter?

Thank you!

Do I need to add some kexts for my CPU i5-6600 or use clover configurator to modify any codes or something before step into macOS installation?

Sorry, I want to help myself,
Hope you could help me. Thank you!!!

You need only the latest release version kext. Debug and other files you may find are not needed inside EFI/CLOVE/kexts/Other. Copy & Paste ONLY the kext file . [Example copy and paste only WhateverGreen.kext from extracted 1.3.3.RELEASE.zip; disregard other files inside the zip]

Please read my earlier post about kexts.

After several days, finally I found what was exactly going on with my PC while installing macOS.
Because my monitor is attached with an adopter of DVI to VGA, which makes my monitor operate with no signal.
For people who are using an adopter of DVI to VGA, I suggest take an adopter of HDMI to VGA instead.

Now it is working nicely, and all ports are fully functioned.

Thank you for replying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back