Contribute
Register

ASUS ROG STRIX gl503vm will not boot on a sata drive but only boots mac os high Sierra if is on a external drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 720
CPU
Q6600
Graphics
GT 730
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
so I finally got my asus rog strix rog gl503vm to install mac os high Sierria but have been having issues with it booting if I was to put it in laptop nvme SSD shows up, but I don't want to wipe my windows drive but my sata drive doesn't show up so I was just wondering what I could do to get it working I'm thinking it's something with sata drivers that I don't have I was just wondering what one I need to have it working (the screen shot that says the installation failed was for multibeast trying to install any drivers it would only let me download clover bootloader) that was the only time it booted once the install was done but doesn't boot anymore.

Attachments

• C3776ACE-716C-4589-9433-C75A171FC492.jpeg
    C3776ACE-716C-4589-9433-C75A171FC492.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1515.jpeg
    IMG_1515.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1521.jpeg
    IMG_1521.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1522.jpeg
    IMG_1522.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1523.jpeg
    IMG_1523.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1524.jpeg
    IMG_1524.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
The error in the screen images above are 'Still waiting for Root Device'. Which means either the USB installer is being lost/dropped when the USB ports are handed over from the Bios to the OS/installer. Possibly caused by the use of a USB3 pen drive, in a USB3 port?

Try moving the USB installation drive to another USB Port. A USB2 port would be best.

I had a couple of systems where I started with the USB installer in one USB Port, but had to swap it to another so the Installation would continue past this point. The swap needs to happen before the forbidden sign appears, so fairly quickly after the verbose text starts rolling up the screen.

On each subsequent reboot you may need to start in the first USB Port and swap to the second port to prevent the 'Still waiting for root device' error occurring.

it does the same thing if I put the drive into the computer is there any way i can get it to boot reliably when its inside the laptop and doesn't give the hard drive also does not show up in the installer unless i use a sata to usb adapter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back