Register

Asus Rampage II Extreme

Motherboard
Asus Rampage II Extreme X58
CPU
X5650
Graphics
GTX 970
First post on here, I recently decided to try and install MacOS Big Sur on my old X58 based desktop, I have tried to follow the Dortania guide but it won't even boot into the OpenCore boot menu, it just sits on a black screen with a flashing *_* and does nothing else.

I'm unsure where I'm going wrong, previously I was trying to get it running on an AMD Ryzen based laptop but I couldn't get it running on there neither, it would get so far and then just hand on "less than a minute remaining..." even after leaving it on that screen overnight

If anyone can give me some advice as to where I am going wrong it would be much appreciated.

Specs are Asus Rampage II Extreme, Intel Xeon X5650, 12GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 RAM, nVidia GTX970, using onboard sound, storage I have multiple SSD's (OCZ, Samsung and a Patriot), I also have a 2TB mechanical drive for storage in there too, I want MacOS installed on one of the SATA SSDs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. this isn't my first time tinkering with Hackintoshes, a friend and I used to install OS X on both Intel and AMD Athlon based desktop systems back in 06/07, and I recall it being pretty straightforward back then, but I am really struggling with OpenCore, I spent over 2 weeks trying to make it work on the Lenovo IdeaPad 3 with the Ryzen 3 APU, however I was able to get the USB drive to boot into the Mac Recovery so that I could format the hard drive and then move onto installing the OS, but as stated above I would get as far as downloading the installer, then booting back into the OC USB drive and choosing Install MacOS it would just hang at less than a minute remaining...

So I figured that it would probably be easier to install it on my X58 desktop, however I couldn't get anywhere with it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist/help me out with some advice.

First post on here, I recently decided to try and install MacOS Big Sur on my old X58 based desktop, I have tried to follow the Dortania guide but it won't even boot into the OpenCore boot menu, it just sits on a black screen with a flashing *_* and does nothing else.

I'm unsure where I'm going wrong, previously I was trying to get it running on an AMD Ryzen based laptop but I couldn't get it running on there neither, it would get so far and then just hand on "less than a minute remaining..." even after leaving it on that screen overnight

If anyone can give me some advice as to where I am going wrong it would be much appreciated.

Specs are Asus Rampage II Extreme, Intel Xeon X5650, 12GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 RAM, nVidia GTX970, using onboard sound, storage I have multiple SSD's (OCZ, Samsung and a Patriot), I also have a 2TB mechanical drive for storage in there too, I want MacOS installed on one of the SATA SSDs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. this isn't my first time tinkering with Hackintoshes, a friend and I used to install OS X on both Intel and AMD Athlon based desktop systems back in 06/07, and I recall it being pretty straightforward back then, but I am really struggling with OpenCore, I spent over 2 weeks trying to make it work on the Lenovo IdeaPad 3 with the Ryzen 3 APU, however I was able to get the USB drive to boot into the Mac Recovery so that I could format the hard drive and then move onto installing the OS, but as stated above I would get as far as downloading the installer, then booting back into the OC USB drive and choosing Install MacOS it would just hang at less than a minute remaining...

So I figured that it would probably be easier to install it on my X58 desktop, however I couldn't get anywhere with it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist/help me out with some advice.
I have given you your own thread

your nvidia card is not supported in Big Sur

Blinking cursor means you haven’t used the legacy bios method to install Opencore. X58s are not UEFI.

While you can patch the GTX970 using OCLP, this is still experimental. Unfortunately with these CPUs your only viable choice is an RX570 or 580 that you will still need to patch and I remove the AVX2 instruction calls.

Also be aware Big Sur needs the SurPlus patch on these CPUs too, or it will randomly hang during boot.

Thank you for moving this to the appropriate section, I'm so out of touch with forums because it's been so long since I used them.

I have a bunch of old cards kicking around, I have a couple GTX280s, a 470, and I have an AMD card that a friend gave me but I forget which model it is, I'll dig it out tomorrow and see which card it is.

I spent so much time tinkering with the Ryzen APU based laptop that when it came to looking into trying to install it on my X58 build, I didn't do enough reading up obviously.

Which (if any) was the last version of MacOS that was supported with my 970?

Thank you again.

Thank you for moving this to the appropriate section, I'm so out of touch with forums because it's been so long since I used them.

I have a bunch of old cards kicking around, I have a couple GTX280s, a 470, and I have an AMD card that a friend gave me but I forget which model it is, I'll dig it out tomorrow and see which card it is.

I spent so much time tinkering with the Ryzen APU based laptop that when it came to looking into trying to install it on my X58 build, I didn't do enough reading up obviously.

Which (if any) was the last version of MacOS that was supported with my 970?

Thank you again.
High Sierra, you will need the nvidia web drivers

Thanks for your help, also thank you nekaspsule too, I'll read over the Dortania guide again to see where I went wrong in regards to not configuring my EFI folder properly for legacy boot.

Cheers guys.

Forget about all your Nvidia cards, Apple stopped using Nvidia a long time ago, hence why support after High Sierra is non existent (apart from experimental patching of web drivers via OCLP). You can get a second hand RX580 for cheap.

Thanks, I'm just reading through the guide again now, also reading the NootedRed guide as well, as I still want to try get MacOS running on my Lenovo laptop with the AMD Ryzen APU as well as get it on my desktop too.

Back