Graphics
so ignore me
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I recently decided to give VoodooHDA under 10.6.3 (32 bit) a shot with my ALC888 mobo. I think those guys have done a great job, and I get good audio without problems. The only issue I had was that unless I deleted AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E I'd get a kernel panic when inserting VoodooHDA. This would potentially be a problem when Apple issues an update.

I could probably have fixed this by DSDT editing, but I thought I'd try configuring the Disabler.kext (by Kabyl... it's been floating around for a while in a number of forms) to block AppleHDA instead. There's no documentation that I can find, so I really didn't know what I was doing. Nonetheless it seems to work for me now. With VoodooHDA (0.2.6.1) in S/L/E, and my AppleHDADisabler in E/E I've got working sound that will hopefully remain stable across updates.

I make no guarantees about this thing, and if it results in something terrible happening then I'm sorry of course, but it's really not my fault. If anybody better acquainted with IOKit can tell me that what I've done can be improved somehow, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Hope this helps somebody else ;-).

Cheers,

/drdaz

EDIT: This solution still works fine under 10.6.4 (out of the box) and 64 bit configs.

Attachments

• AppleHDADisabler.kext.zip
    14.3 KB · Views: 10,436
Thanks! The current voodooHDA is pretty nice. Definitely better than bothering to re-install AppleHDA after an update.

Also you can change in your DSDT all HDEF to AZAL and AppleHDA will not start. But VoodooHDA will work.

I just tried this on my P55 UD2 and it works. Beats spending $25 on a USB sound card. I get a little plonk when the machine is booting up, but that's it. Hopefully, when 10.6.5 is released the box will update cleanly like a real Mac. There is also a pop when awakening from sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back