Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Anyone using the "Sandbox" feature in Super Duper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H
CPU
i7-4770S
Graphics
RX 570
Does anyone have experience of using the "Sandbox" feature in Super Duper (drive cloning software), which lets you use a separate partition to boot from, while maintaining the original boot volume? I am thinking this would be really handy for trying out updates, kexts etc, without having to image the whole system partition back if something gets broken.

In brief: you set up a second partition, say you call it 'Sandbox', to which Super Duper then copies your system files, leaving your applications and user data on your main system volume. You can then boot from the 'Sandbox' partition, and all your apps and data are available (some sort of linking back to the main system volume which I am yet fully to understand!)

If you want to try, for example, an OS update, you apply it to the Sandbox partition first, and if this goes smoothly, you can be fairly confident that it will be the same when applied to your main install, as the OS files are an identical copy.

(If you are using a partition on the same drive, obviously both rely on the Clover install on that physical drive to boot, so if Clover breaks it's less helpful. Always have a clone of your system drive on another drive as a backup. And a Unibeast boot USB, etc!)

I am relatively new to Hackintosh stuff; I got someone to help me set up my initial OS X install, back in the days of Mavericks, but now I'm feeling increasing pressure to update the OS! And I'm nervous about adding kexts, for example for USB 3 support. (Currently USB 3 is unreliable so I just don't use it 'cos I'm scared to change anything!)

So my plan is to set up a new SSD with Clover / El Capitan (the latest OS I am able to download with my current configuration), and I'm thinking of setting up a sandbox partition as part of that plan.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Update:

Well, I did indeed install Clover /El Capitan on a new SSD, and I restored my data from my Time Machine backups. All went smoothly, hurrah!

Since then I have updated to Sierra, High Sierra and now Mojave, using the .app update package each time.

I did create a 'Sandbox' partition, and I was able to test the update each time on the Sandbox volume before running it on my main system volume. I really liked being able to do this, and I would recommend Super Duper and its Sandbox feature very highly.

(The customer support for Super Duper also seems very good, I've had a couple of issues to sort out, and had helpful email replies within hours on each occasion.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back