Contribute
Register

Anybody else having USB failures with Gigabyte motherboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 1080
I had a successful build a couple of years ago with Gigabyte's Z77X-UD5H board. I've since overclocked it, added a second graphics card, installed an IR remote control receiver and attached ports to all three USB 3 headers. Best computer I've ever used.

Lately, though, the USB headers have stopped working. Two of them stopped working last week and today it seems that the last one has died.

It's no huge deal, as the rear USB ports still work and I can always attach external hubs to those, but I was wondering if anything similar has been happening to other users.

Searching Google reveals quite a lot of Gigabyte USB trouble, so maybe there's a quality control issue.

I had a successful build a couple of years ago with Gigabyte's Z77X-UD5H board. I've since overclocked it, added a second graphics card, installed an IR remote control receiver and attached ports to all three USB 3 headers. Best computer I've ever used.

Lately, though, the USB headers have stopped working. Two of them stopped working last week and today it seems that the last one has died.

It's no huge deal, as the rear USB ports still work and I can always attach external hubs to those, but I was wondering if anything similar has been happening to other users.

Searching Google reveals quite a lot of Gigabyte USB trouble, so maybe there's a quality control issue.

I saw a post about this once and IIRC :

Shutdown the computer.

Remove the power lead.

Press and hold in the power button for 30 secs.

Reconnect the power lead and power on.

Good Luck

@garner,

I have the same mobo and a very similar setup (single GTX 660 GPU) all usb 2 & 3 ports work with Yosemite 10.10.1. You must use a patched DSDT with PJALM's edits :-

http://pjalm.com/forums/index.php?topic=7.0

I also updated the VAI USB3 hub controller firmware ( needs to be done under windows )

You need the file Usb3HubFWUpgrade_Setup_V0.41_VL810_0960.zip which can be downloaded from via support site:-

http://www.via-labs.com/driver.php

Remove any Generic USB3 / XHCI kexts from /S/L/E - use Apple native/vanilla kext's for USB/USB3

I'm booting using Latest Clover in UEFI mode, no ACPI or DSDT patches selected as all done in DSDT.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Jay

I saw a post about this once and IIRC :

Shutdown the computer.

Remove the power lead.

Press and hold in the power button for 30 secs.

Reconnect the power lead and power on.

Good Luck

Wow! What do they say about the simplest solution? This fixed it instantly.

I have to admit I was skeptical, as the USB ports seemed totally dead - they didn't work in Windows or OS X or even with a keyboard connected to them in the BIOS.

I found a post on Tomshardware where somebody had got an RMA from Gigabyte for this exact problem. That's the last time I ever look there for advice. Thank you so much!

Wow! What do they say about the simplest solution? This fixed it instantly.

I have to admit I was skeptical, as the USB ports seemed totally dead - they didn't work in Windows or OS X or even with a keyboard connected to them in the BIOS.

I found a post on Tomshardware where somebody had got an RMA from Gigabyte for this exact problem. That's the last time I ever look there for advice. Thank you so much!

You're welcome - glad you got it sorted :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back