Contribute
Register

Any plans by Apple to support Radeon 5xxx cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've been thinking of upgrading my 9600GT or at least get a new card for my other computer so I've been eying the Radeon 5xxx series of cards.

Any rumors on when and if Apple plans on supporting these cards? I was thinking of a 5770, which I might buy just for Windows usage.

I wasn't really following Apple but it seemed like the 48XX series of Radeon where supported by Apple only just recently (fall of last year?), even though these cards came out over a year ago? If so maybe it'll be a 6 months to a year for the next generation of Radeons? Just wondering.

I've always like Nvidia cards (owned every generation since the TNT and Geforce 6600 days) but I might try Radeon again. My last Radeon was a 9700 PRO I think.

Thanks. I guess I'll have to mull over the decision whether to buy a 250 or 260 GT for Hackintosh compatibility versus a Radeon 5770 for Windows gaming performance (which has gotten good reviews at it's price point).

The 5770 seems to use less power than the 250/260 and seems to be quieter although maybe thats not a big deal. Decisions decisions...

I'd wait until the Mac Pro refresh if I were you, which is supposedly March 16. You could see 5XXX and/or possibly Fermi (GTX 470/480) turning into an option.

March 16, that isn't far off. Thanks for letting me know the date.

I can wait. I might get a cheap holdover card for my Hackitosh, a card that I can re-use for my HTPC later on, as I've been wanting to stick my 9600GT back in my Windows computer. So yeah, looks like I'll check the videocard situation for my Hackintosh again in March.

I'm curious about the Fermi cards. They seem intriguing but I guess all the info on it right now is just on paper. I wonder what the price range will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back