Motherboard
AORUS Z390 Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Do you have AMD-V activated?
Does VMware or Virtualbox work?
Docker is crap anyway. It consumes 15% CPU for doing nothing.

Last edited:
Motherboard
GigaByte Z390 AORUS Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
  2. Power Mac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have to wonder if Apple moving to ARM CPUs might actually facilitate more apps running without issues on Ryzentosh. Reason why I say this is because ARM forces developers not to rely on Intel specific features.

Motherboard
AORUS Z390 Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Most of the guides say to disable virtualisation anyway and AMD also supports virtualisation, so is that really an issue?
Not Vt-x virtualization, only Vt-d, which is pasing PCIe devices through to the virtual machine. But I have it enabled and it does not seem to cause any problems.
The question is, if it is really supported by macOS.

Any application that use VT-D wont work. VT-D is Intel proprietary.
Docker (GUI) for start.
It is not Vt-d, it is the Apple Hypervisor Framework, which is needed, but does not run on Ryzen.
I have found this post on Github: https://github.com/moby/hyperkit/issues/230

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Xtreme
CPU
Ryzen 3970X
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have to wonder if Apple moving to ARM CPUs might actually facilitate more apps running without issues on Ryzentosh. Reason why I say this is because ARM forces developers not to rely on Intel specific features.

They will just replace the Intel specific stuff with ARM specific stuff, so no help for AMD hacks.

Motherboard
GigaByte Z390 AORUS Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
  2. Power Mac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
But in the meantime they still need to continue supporting Intel as well, so developers have to walk a fine line between using ARM-specific extensions vs. keeping the code fairly platform neutral...at least for the next few years. On the other hand, if a developer (like Adobe) is currently leveraging Intel-only APIs, I can see them abandoning them in favor of more platform neutral methods. I could be completely off base, but the less Intel-specific code there is, the better...no?

Motherboard
AORUS Z390 Master
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
But in the meantime they still need to continue supporting Intel as well, so developers have to walk a fine line between using ARM-specific extensions vs. keeping the code fairly platform neutral...at least for the next few years. On the other hand, if a developer (like Adobe) is currently leveraging Intel-only APIs, I can see them abandoning them in favor of more platform neutral methods. I could be completely off base, but the less Intel-specific code there is, the better...no?
Intel specific optimizations are still possible. The Universal Binary contains Intel and ARM machine code.

Motherboard
I didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
You will definitely have a good 10 years, the x86 support will not be discontinued that soon.