Contribute
Register

AMD Radeon Graphics — macOS Sonoma

@craighazan my apologies, I misunderstood the reason for your post. I thought you wanted to use the SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD.aml table for your systems.
all good sir!. I just wanted to try it out, (didn't make any difference tbh). I haven't done a USB map though, that should be my next task.

It wouldn't make any difference on a mature system, as all you are doing is replacing a custom/specific SSDT with a generic SSDT. IF you compare your SSDT-EC.aml and the AMD SSDT your EC ACPI address will be present, along with a few others.

It is less generic than the SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml table, as it doesn't include the Intel options. But it is still generic in that it is aiming to catch-all AMD Embedded Controller (EC) options, and to my mind it is only meant for use by beginners.

Or those to lazy to generate their custom SSDT's!

@ejh4286 you have a number of issues in your OC setup, EFI from post #73. Below are two screenshots showing AMD OC EFI folder trees. The first is from your EFI in post #73, the second is how I would configure the EFI.

View attachment 572972 View attachment 572974

The most likely cause(s) for the system not shutting down are related to the USB configuration.

You have a mis-configured USBPorts.kext, a USBMap.kext (with USBTooBox.kext?) and the XhciPortLimit quirk enabled. You only need one of these three USB options, never all three.

The USBMaps.kext looks as though it is more correctly configured than the USBPorts.kext. Although it has the wrong SMBIOS Name for the system you are using, so it won't work. You need to edit the USBMap.kext/Contents/Info.plist to remove the MacPro7,1 name and replace it with iMac20,1 name, in two locations for each USB controller. This is a common issue when changing SMBIOS for your Hack and very easily forgotten.

You need to delete the USBPorts.kext and disable the XhciPortLimit quirk. The USBToolBox.kext is an orphan, it won't work with USBPorts.kext or USBMap.kext it requires UTBMap.kext to be of any use, so it should also be deleted.

You have a number of kexts in your setup that are not used, i.e. are set as false in the config.plist. I would recommend deleting the kexts and config entries to clean up your setup, so it is easier to identify any issues.

You are missing the IntelBTPatcher.kext, which is required in recent versions of macOS for Intel BT modules to work correctly. I would recommend adding this kext and making sure the IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext you are using is from the same release.

You have a number of DeviceProperties in your config.plist, these are known to cause issues when using NootedRed.kext, so I would recommend deleting the four (4) device properties and using alternative methods for adding the Audio layout ID, Ethernet enabling, WiFi identification plus whatever the other device is you are setting as built-in.

You don't have the Kernel > Emulate > DummyPowerManagement entry enabled in your config.plist. This is an essential option for any AMD system and should be set to True, not False.

You have three (3) entries under the Misc > Entries section in your config, but none are enabled. I would recommend deleting these three entries, as they do nothing useful for your setup.

The SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml table you are using is a generic ACPI table which is used as a catch-all option when first installing macOS. It contains a lot of Intel settings, which your system would never use. There is an alternative SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD.aml table that is specific to AMD systems, which I think is a better option when first installing macOS.

As a longer term option you would be advised to download Corpnewt's SSDTTime-Master folder and use his python script to generate a number of custom SSDT's for your system, using your system DSDT.aml table as the base for the custom SSDT's. The custom SSDT's will be a much better match to your system and will be quicker when loading/being read. See the guide below for how to use the script.

I have attached a revised EFI that incorporates all the changes I recommended, bar the Corpnewt SSDT option.

Testing/Booting Revised EFI:

If you want to try this revised EFI, simply add your Serial Number, MLB and SystmUUID data to the revised config.plist. Don't make any other changes to the setup.

Copy the revised EFI folder to the EFI partition on a spare USB pen drive, which has been formatted HFS+. Then boot from the pen drive to test the EFI.

Don't replace your current EFI until you are sure the revised EFI works and boots without any issues.

You will need to use the ResetNvramEntry.efi option of the first boot with this revised OC setup.
  • Simply boot from the USB pen drive, press the Spacebar when you arrive on the OC boot screen (GUI),
    • This will unhide the tools and drivers contained in your OC setup.
  • Select the ResetNvramEntry.efi and the system should automatically reboot.
  • Select your USB pen drive from the system Boot Menu again, and
    • This time boot in to macOS using the revised EFI.
Hope this is helpful.
Thank you for all the work. The machine shuts down now. But when I press the power button to restart, the lights and fans come on, but the machine does not POST. Weird.

Check all the cable connections between your display and Hack. Unplug and replug each and every cable to make sure they have a solid connection.

Try using the ClrCMOS jumper on your motherboard, item #14 in the table and diagram below.

Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 23.03.32.png Screenshot 2023-10-14 at 23.03.12.png

This may help clear any issues in the bios.

Just remember you will need to reset your bios once it reboots, as any custom settings, i.e. those required for macOS to work, will be wiped from the Bios memory.

# AMD Bios Settings

Back