CPU
i7 975
Graphics
GTX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just want to verify, as there is a lot of info out that seems to be (to me) very jumbled. The point for this will be to combine and make the install process rather simple as well as get a few questions asked.

I really have 4 questions for my install, that will most likely apply to others.

To install a Radeon 6970 (and/or other supported cards) do I have to
1 - Be running 10.6.7? nothing lower...
2 - Change graphics enabler in the bootloader to "no" if its presently at "yes"?
3 - Install the ATI 1.6.32.12 Drivers from Multibeast?
4 - Do I need to change my system definition to MacBook Pro 8,1 or can I leave this alone at current setting?

I know a few of these might seem stupid, but its just nice to have a firm answer as well as for future installs. I think if these can be answered we shall be good to go and help others out. And, thank you in advance.

MacTech84 said:
To install a Radeon 6970 (and/or other supported cards) do I have to
1 - Be running 10.6.7? nothing lower...
Answer: No. The Drivers to support the card are found in multibeast, although there's really no reason not to be running 10.6.7
2 - Change graphics enabler in the bootloader to "no" if its presently at "yes"?
Answer: Yes. The intention of installing the drivers, and what makes the drivers "unusual" is that they are native drivers, i.e. they don't require the assistance of a bootloader like chameleon and graphicsenabler to function properly (interestingly, the existence of these drivers in 10.6.7 means that generic video cards could potentially work in genuine apple systems like the Mac Pro going forward).
3 - Install the ATI 1.6.32.12 Drivers from Multibeast?
Answer: Yes.
4 - Do I need to change my system definition to MacBook Pro 8,1 or can I leave this alone at current setting?
Answer: No. If you're running an X58 based system, it's best to use the MacPro system definition, and if you're using a P55 based system, it's best to use the iMac system definition (although doing so might mean you have to modify the applegraphicspowermanagement.kext if you happen to be running an nVidia card, not relevant to ATI cards AFAIK.

Thank you!

That is what I thought, but a lot of others out there might see a lot and find it confusing as I did with so many threads and no real direct answer. I am switching over from an Nvidia GTX 285, and just want a smooth transition. I have been waiting for GTX 580 support, but if I can get 6970 support out the door... then I am switching! I love Nvidia, but I want a full powered dual boot system and the 6970 will give me the performance I want.

One more question,

Are all ports (DVI, HDMI, Mini Display port) work natively out of the card?

I want to switch over to HDMI for my monitor once I get this card...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back