AMD GPU - lower end GPUs ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V LX
CPU
i5-2400
Graphics
Intel > Need model name/number > See Forum Rules!
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I've an old system (3rd generation Intel CPU/mobo combo) that I'd like to turn into a hackintosh. I know I can get it to work (I got the OS installed several months ago), but to have a fully functioning system I need a more up to date gpu.

The AMD cards listed in the buyers guides all seem too pricy for me AND overkill as I've an old system. Would a card such as this, this, or even this one work ok?

I mostly am doing photo editing in Lightroom/Photoshop and perhaps may spring for FinalCut Pro at some point.

Many thanks in advance!

Apple ship a driver for both of those cards... The device ids:

RX560 https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1002/67ef

RX550 https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/1002/67ff

If you search you will find the RX560 is well supported, the RX550 people had problems so the 560 would probably work out better. The 460 is the same hardware as well, and there may even be another version of the same thing coming out this year.

Thanks vulgo for the information!

There may be only one model of RX 550 that will work the Sapphire pulse but to be safe get a 460-560 they all work EXCEPT for XFX brands.

XFX RX 470-580 work well but the XFX 460-560 models have incompatible Vbios so you would need to reflash the bios for them to work. Just get any other brand and it should work well.

There may be only one model of RX 550 that will work the Sapphire pulse but to be safe get a 460-560 they all work EXCEPT for XFX brands.

XFX RX 470-580 work well but the XFX 460-560 models have incompatible Vbios so you would need to reflash the bios for them to work. Just get any other brand and it should work well.
Thanks for the heads up. Will avoid XFX460-560. A slightly easier hackintosh experience for me :)

Of the ones I linked to I think I'll be getting the Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 560 for some future proofing. Unless someone advises against it.

Of the ones I linked to I think I'll be getting the Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 560 for some future proofing. Unless someone advises against it.

I have a Gigabyte RX 460 one of the 1st if not the actual first Hackintosh'd RX 460s. That and the Sapphire RX 460 were the only ones that worked in the early Sierra beta software back in Oct. 2116.

I have a Gigabyte RX 460 one of the 1st if not the actual first Hackintosh'd RX 460s. That and the Sapphire RX 460 were the only ones that worked in the early Sierra beta software back in Oct. 2116.

Sounds like I'm getting the right one then.
Thanks Gigammaxx

It should be fine the 560v2 does away with the 6pin power connector so it can only draw from the pcie so it has a lower overclock compared to the first variants, im not sure of power throttle will be affected.

I doubt it will be an issue, possibly in heavy gaming under windows so use wattman in radeon driver setting.
It's something to consider but I'm unlikely to be gaming heavily under windows. More likely I'm going to be editing video. Perhaps I'll see what other options are available, but otherwise I'll get the 560.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back