Contribute
Register

Advantages and disadvantages of states of O/C?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
<< need manufacturer and model # >> See Forum Rules !!
CPU
Graphics
1080ti FTW3
Mac
  1. iMac
Im new to over clocking and have got my machine running on 4.8 GHZ quite stably, but I'm just wondering are there any real disavnatges to leaving it permanently locked to this overclock?

I have EIST disabled so it'll show in about my mac, but from what I can gather, my mac despite being clocked at 4.8 in bios does not actually proceed at that speed unless some intensive application is used right? Thats what HW monitor shows as it is currently at 1.6 core package and package multiplier at 1.6 at idle.

Which brings me to my second question, some users leave their clock frequency at stock, but change their turbo states to say 4.8, but what are the advantages of that method, isn't it essentially the same as my current permanent state?

Do help me out here in understanding

Well.. running it at full speed all the time will decrease the life span of the CPU. How much will depend on the voltage as it controls how much electricity flows and the temperature will degrade the CPU as well. That might be 5 years instead of 20 years. That might be 2 years instead of 10 years. No one really knows how long these cpus last, because there are not long term tests.

But yes, you will have no benefit from running at full speed all the time unless you need that speed all the time. Simply use the Offset Voltage mode and let all power saving features on. Same results, but lower average temps and voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back