Contribute
Register

Add my windows 7 HD back into the hackintosh and dual boot to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
GeForce GTS 250 1024 MB
I have the hard drive with windows 7 that came out of my Hackintosh and I would love to add it to the boot menu. Can this be done? I see guides on how to combine them onto the same hard drive, but I don't want to do that.

Thanks!

I have the hard drive with windows 7 that came out of my Hackintosh and I would love to add it to the boot menu. Can this be done? I see guides on how to combine them onto the same hard drive, but I don't want to do that.

Thanks!

It should work provided:
- it was a BIOS/Legacy mode install of Windows (not UEFI... eg. not on a GPT drive)
- you install boot0md as your stage0 Chimera boot record (you can use Chameleon Wizard to do this).
- you set BIOS to prioritize the disk you have Chimera on
- if it is a two-partition "System Reserved" + main partition, you'll need to tell Chimera to boot "System Reserved"

Am I simply going to be adding a boot option to my boot screen, or is this going to install a new bootloader?

Thanks for the reply...

Am I simply going to be adding a boot option to my boot screen, or is this going to install a new bootloader?

Thanks for the reply...

You're already using Chimera as your boot loader, right?

Yes, I believe I am. There's only one option of course :) I guess I just need to know how to add a second one and how to direct it to boot off the windows drive.

Yes, I believe I am. There's only one option of course :) I guess I just need to know how to add a second one and how to direct it to boot off the windows drive.

You don't really need to "add" anything. Chimera just automatically "finds" volumes and presents them for booting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back