Contribute
Register

Acer Aspire 1 ARM laptop

Motherboard
MSI B350M MORTAR
CPU
Ryzen 3 2200GE
Graphics
Radeon > Need model name > See Forum Rules!
Hello everyone,

I have been thinking about picking up an ARM laptop from Acer, what is the current state of putting ARM MacOS on ARM devices?

Hello everyone,

I have been thinking about picking up an ARM laptop from Acer, what is the current state of putting ARM MacOS on ARM devices?
The Mx CPUs used in Apple Silicon Macs (and some iPads) are heavily customized versions of ARM hardware. They contain specialized hardware including the Neural Engine and the GPU, which MacOS provides drivers for them to work.

Do you think that the Apple Silicon version of MacOS will contain the necessary device drivers to drive the hardware such as GPU, network, audio etc. on the laptop on your shopping list? Why would Apple provide these drivers at all?

My opinion is that buying an ARM laptop hoping it will be able to run MacOS well is a pipe dream, and unless you have other uses for that laptop, I will advise you not to get it.

Thank you for the prompt reply and thoughts. I might just be too late in looking to leave the Windows world.

I like MacOS, it seems to me that Microsoft just doesn't know how to build an OS anymore. The closer we get to W10 being officially unsupported, I just know I cant stay too long when that happens and W11 doesn't do anything for me. I want to be early so i can make a good and not rushed decision. Do you think a custom MacARM being impossible is just a first/second generation issue right now? or with the ubiquity that ARM is gaining that Hackintosh might return to being doable again in the next say 5 years?

Back