Contribute
Register

Accidentally installed windows 8.1 with UEFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
I7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I still have Mavericks on P0 and windows on P1, but now the default boot device in the windows drive, and when I go into my bios, there is no option to choose P0 as my default boot. but I can choose it when I press f12, and when I choose P0 it boots into chimera, and I can choose OSX, or Windows from, How do I go about fixing this, and making chimera boot first.

I still have Mavericks on P0 and windows on P1, but now the default boot device in the windows drive, and when I go into my bios, there is no option to choose P0 as my default boot. but I can choose it when I press f12, and when I choose P0 it boots into chimera, and I can choose OSX, or Windows from, How do I go about fixing this, and making chimera boot first.

You have three choices:
- reinstall Windows in legacy mode
- use Clover boot loader
- continue to select via BIOS hotkey

If its anything like my mobo, if you select windows bootloader as the primary boot drive, it will not give you any other options. This is to ensure secure boot and fast boot work, (at least afaik). You can go through and make all the changes each time you want to go in to windows or if you have a key to select different boot drive at boot (mine being F11) you could just do that to go in to chimera.

If you fast boot you obviously cant select a different boot drive, as it would defeat the purpose.

It would be a hassle to switch all the bios settings each time you want to go in to windows, but if that's the way you want to do it, it is possible. Once you set bios to uefi+legacy you should be able to select a different hard drive. There may be 2 sections where the windows boot loader/manager have to be removed in order to get the other boot selections back.

I can go in to more detail, but if just what is off the top of my head will suffice then ill save myself unneeded effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back