Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Accidentally deleted Preboot volume, could not upgrade MacOS X anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you use the exact same name and password, you can access other volumes with identical ownership and groups.

You can also disable ownership with diskutil in the Terminal.

enableOwnership (Exact on-disk User/Group IDs on a mounted volume)
disableOwnership (Ignore on-disk User/Group IDs on a mounted volume)

But I've played with a Catalina install in a VM and the Preboot partition is apparently not necessary to boot.

I erased it so it appeared as a standard volume in Disk Utility and I was able to delete it.

Then I rebooted without a problem.

@nickboy

You should be able to boot without the Preboot volume (I haven't checked but it might be necessary for booting recovery mode?)

You seem to be having the same issue on Catalina 10.15.4+ as many other users with the Z390 chipset.

Attachments

• No-Preboot.jpg
    No-Preboot.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 43
@Namok88 and @Archangeliques
Thank you all for all your suggestions and guidances. I would like to update in the thread in case someone run into similar issue in the future.

Regarding the "the bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk. :(-69793)", I was able to resolved it by specifying the System volume as Default Boot Volume in the Clover Configurator.

You can find the detailed instruction in the latest comment provided by @Mr.-T-from-B

I would like to update in the thread in case someone run into similar issue in the future.

You're welcome!

You can edit your original post title and add the "solved" prefix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back