HD 3000
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I tried and believe I followed RehabMan’s excellent "Guide to Installing Mavericks on HP Probook" "upgrading from 10.8.x" directions. I went from Lion 10.7.5 directly to Mavericks. The installation of Mavericks went well, but I have been left without working WiFi.

I do have the Atheros 9285 chipset on my 4530s. In the past, I've installed the driver from RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_90.pkg to use WiFi. This time, I ticked the Atheros 9285 patch under the DSDT Generator optional patches from the ProBook 6.1.9 installer. Also, I used the "Old Kext Remover" option.

Post Installation: The AirPort pull down complains, "No Hardware Installed."

I removed the AirPort / WiFi option from the Network System Preferences. I tried to re-add the WiFi option, but only Ethernet and Bluetooth DUN are options.

The hardware switch above the keyboard lights yellow on POST and remains white once the OS begins to load. It did the same under Lion. Pressing and holding the wireless button for 20+ seconds does not change the color or status. No changes were made to the BIOS, but the option for the wireless switch is ticked.

I tried to install the RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_90.pkg.

I repaired permissions and rebuilt the kext caches (via Kext Wizard).

The RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_90.pkg contains Apple80211Monitor.bundle and IO80211Family.kext. That installer places them in S/L/SC and S/L/E, respectively.

Checking my backup of my Lion loadset, surprisingly, there were newer versions of both packages on my previous system than there were on my new Mavericks installation.

Apple80211Monitor.bundle 7.2.1 > 7.4.1
IO80211Family.kext 4.2 > 6.0

I tried manually replacing old versions of both files on my Mavericks with the new versions from my Lion. I removed and replaced the Apple80211Monitor.bundle manually, but I used Kext Wizard to install the 6.0 version of IO80211Family.kext.

At this stage, I am out of ideas and would greatly appreciate any assistance.

I tried and believe I followed RehabMan’s excellent "Guide to Installing Mavericks on HP Probook" "upgrading from 10.8.x" directions. I went from Lion 10.7.5 directly to Mavericks. The installation of Mavericks went well, but I have been left without working WiFi.

I do have the Atheros 9285 chipset on my 4530s. In the past, I've installed the driver from RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_90.pkg to use WiFi. This time, I ticked the Atheros 9285 patch under the DSDT Generator optional patches from the ProBook 6.1.9 installer. Also, I used the "Old Kext Remover" option.

Post Installation: The AirPort pull down complains, "No Hardware Installed."

lnx2mac's RealtekRTL* is for Ethernet. Nothing to do with WiFi. Also, we are not using that kext anymore, as we are using my fork of Mieze's RealtekRTL8111.kext. It is probably not a good idea to to have both Reaktek kexts installed, so you should remove RealtekRTL81xx.kext and keep ReaktekRTL8111.kext.

I removed the AirPort / WiFi option from the Network System Preferences. I tried to re-add the WiFi option, but only Ethernet and Bluetooth DUN are options.

The hardware switch above the keyboard lights yellow on POST and remains white once the OS begins to load. It did the same under Lion. Pressing and holding the wireless button for 20+ seconds does not change the color or status. No changes were made to the BIOS, but the option for the wireless switch is ticked.

I tried to install the RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_90.pkg.

I repaired permissions and rebuilt the kext caches (via Kext Wizard).

The RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_90.pkg contains Apple80211Monitor.bundle and IO80211Family.kext. That installer places them in S/L/SC and S/L/E, respectively.

Checking my backup of my Lion loadset, surprisingly, there were newer versions of both packages on my previous system than there were on my new Mavericks installation.

Apple80211Monitor.bundle 7.2.1 > 7.4.1
IO80211Family.kext 4.2 > 6.0

I tried manually replacing old versions of both files on my Mavericks with the new versions from my Lion. I removed and replaced the Apple80211Monitor.bundle manually, but I used Kext Wizard to install the 6.0 version of IO80211Family.kext.

At this stage, I am out of ideas and would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Restore all networking kexts to 10.9 vanilla. There are no patches to kexts necessary for AR9285.

Post your ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

lnx2mac's RealtekRTL* is for Ethernet. Nothing to do with WiFi. Also, we are not using that kext anymore, as we are using my fork of Mieze's RealtekRTL8111.kext. It is probably not a good idea to to have both Reaktek kexts installed, so you should remove RealtekRTL81xx.kext and keep ReaktekRTL8111.kext.

Restore all networking kexts to 10.9 vanilla. There are no patches to kexts necessary for AR9285.

Thank you for your response.

Removed the RealtekRTL81xx.kext.

"Restore all networking kexts to 10.9 vanilla" means I should reinstall Mavericks and then reinstall the ProBook Installer 6.1.9? Or, is there a simpler way?

I THINK the only kext I changed was IO80211Family.kext.

Thank you for your response.

Removed the RealtekRTL81xx.kext.

"Restore all networking kexts to 10.9 vanilla" means I should reinstall Mavericks and then reinstall the ProBook Installer 6.1.9? Or, is there a simpler way?

I THINK the only kext I changed was IO80211Family.kext.

If you don't know what you changed and you didn't keep backups, then you should re-install.

ioreg: Attached.

Again, I appreciate your help.

Attachments

• ProBook.ioreg
    1.8 MB · Views: 239
If you don't know what you changed and you didn't keep backups, then you should re-install.

I only messed with the following files, but I did make copies of the originals:

Apple80211Monitor.bundle
IO80211Family.kext

I tried to restore the originals, but I will reinstall to be on the safe side.

Again, thank you.

ioreg: Attached.

Again, I appreciate your help.

Your ioreg shows that you applied the Broadcom DSDT patch, not the Atheros. I suspect you do not have a Broadcom WiFi card installed in your 4530s.

Your ioreg shows that you applied the Broadcom DSDT patch, not the Atheros. I suspect you do not have a Broadcom WiFi card installed in your 4530s.

Thank you!

I started reinstalling Mavericks. I did not intent to install the Broadcom WiFi drivers, and I did (or at least tried to) install the Atheros drivers, more than once via the ProBook installer afterwards. DSDT Generator > Optional Patches > Atheros 9285 Patch.

I could trouble you to tell me which files to remove?

Thank you!

I started reinstalling Mavericks. I did not intent to install the Broadcom WiFi drivers, and I did (or at least tried to) install the Atheros drivers, more than once via the ProBook installer afterwards. DSDT Generator > Optional Patches > Atheros 9285 Patch.

I could trouble you to tell me which files to remove?

Run the ProBook Installer, and select only the AR9285 option.

Run the ProBook Installer, and select only the AR9285 option.

Well, I reinstalled Mavericks over the previous installation, and then I reinstalled the full suite of ProBook installer, making certain to tick the Atheros option. No hardware installed.

I installed just the Atheros via the ProBook installer. Success!

I appreciate the time you took with me to help me solve the issue I clearly caused. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back