Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Custom with C216 Chipset
CPU
E3-1270 V2
Graphics
RX 460
I have read that the motherboard should have the 300 series chip. However I just came across a used Asus PrileZ270-A with a i5 7600k processor.

Is this an easy peasy doable combo?

Will I be able to run Mojave on this motherboard?

Will I be able to run Mojave on this motherboard?

Yes, you should be able to run Mojave on that Z270 motherboard. It should be easier to setup compared to the current 300 series motherboards.

Great. Thanks.

Not very knowledgable on what to get for my build. Is this a mainboard that I can grow with, or is it soon "vintage"?
I plan on using it for music composing/sound design, so I will use a lot of software instruments. I see the motherboard was not of the cheapest.

BTW, I spotted a typo, it should of course be Asus Prime Z270-A

Great. Thanks.

Not very knowledgable on what to get for my build. Is this a mainboard that I can grow with, or is it soon "vintage"?
I plan on using it for music composing/sound design, so I will use a lot of software instruments. I see the motherboard was not of the cheapest.

BTW, I spotted a typo, it should of course be Asus Prime Z270-A.

The most powerful CPU supported on Z270 motherboards is the i7 7700K, which is just a quad core (4) CPU (with HT, 8 threads). The current Intel 6/8 core CPUs are not supported and you need a 300 series motherboard for them. So at least in terms of CPU that motherboard can't "grow" with your needs.

Great. Thanks.

BTW, I spotted a typo, it should of course be Asus Prime Z270-A

Currently, In Mojave and Catalina this board will do fine for years to come.
Mojave and Catalina supports:

Sandy Bridge. Graphics card needed.
Ivy Bridge. Internal graphics HD4000
Haswell. HD4400, 4600
Broadwell. HD5500
Skylake. HD530
Kabylake HD630 (yours)
CoffeeLake. UHD630
Cannon lake. UHD630
Ice Lake. UHD630 ???

So you can see that your board is in the middle of the mix so it should do well for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back