Contribute
Register

120GB SSD @ $20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Apple RAIDs the SSDs in the iMac Pros.
It's not the same thing as RAID on a PC. It's controlled by the T2 chip. I don't know all the technical details but it's certain that RAID is history once you install Mojave on any Mac. This is from Softraid.com
With the release of 10.14 Mojave, users can no longer startup from RAID volumes. This includes any SoftRAID volume and Apple RAID volumes.

There is no workaround for this, and we do not expect there to be a solution going forward.

We had several discussions with Apple to see if they would re-enable booting in the future, but the chances are slim to zero.

Prepare to migrate your startup volumes to Apple standard volumes before attempting to install Mojave.

Me too....too bad you can't boot from a RAID on Mojave....imagine two of these in RAID 0 or RAID 1 or 5 (if you had three or more).....

You will get bottlenecked by the DMI that connects the PCH to the CPU.

It's probably why Apple stopped supporting raid in Mojave. Their NVME drives are so fast now that it makes no sense to Raid even two of them together.

Holy smokes!! 3x Samsung 960 Pros in RAID 0.
3x-Samsung-960-Pro-512GB---macOS-Raid-0.png
Source: https://nickwoodhams.com/3x-samsung-960-pros-nvme-raid-0-8000mb-s/

Even if not bootable, it would be great for a work drive.

@pastrychef You're not understanding the DMI 3.0 limitations. Have a look at this article from Tweaktown.

"We wish Intel would have built-in more bandwidth into DMI 3.0, but 3.4 GB/s read and 3.1 GB/s write is still pretty exciting. When you consider that this much storage bandwidth is available without encroaching on CPU lanes, DMI 3.0 is very attractive."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/...cie-gen-3x4-nvme-ssd-raid-report/index11.html

So any read/write speeds of over the limits of DMI 3.0 are completely useless. It's like driving your kids to school in a Ferrari. Sure it can go 175 MPH but on those streets with crossing guards you probably won't push that speedometer too far.

Anyway let's close this RAID topic as the point is moot on Mojave and beyond.

Last edited:
@pastrychef You're not understanding the DMI 3.0 limitations. Have a look at this article from Tweaktown.

"We wish Intel would have built-in more bandwidth into DMI 3.0, but 3.4 GB/s read and 3.1 GB/s write is still pretty exciting. When you consider that this much storage bandwidth is available without encroaching on CPU lanes, DMI 3.0 is very attractive."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/...cie-gen-3x4-nvme-ssd-raid-report/index11.html

So any read/write speeds of over the limits of DMI 3.0 are completely useless. It's like driving your kids to school in a Ferrari. Sure it can go 175 MPH but on those streets with crossing guards you probably won't push that speedometer too far.

Anyway let's close this RAID topic as the point is moot on Mojave and beyond.

I just read the whole article. In just about every instance, two 950 Pros outperformed a single 950 Pro and maxed out the DMI bandwidth. However, on page 10 of the article, they attached another two 950 Pros using the PCI-e lanes connected directly to the CPU and again saw massive gains.

Since most Z370/390 motherboards with multiple PCI-e x16 slots will utilize the first two x16 slots in x8 configuration if both slots are populated, that means we can have a graphics card and an M.2 PCI-e adaptor card with each using x8 lanes and 7.88GB/s bandwidth.

011745_intel_z370_chipset_block_diagram.png

squid_left.jpg

Btw, according to Transcend, RAM transfer rates are:
DDR4 data transfer rates:
DDR4 2133:17 GB/s
DDR4 2400:19.2 GB/s
DDR4 2666:21.3 GB/s
DDR4 3200:25.6 GB/s

Last edited:
Holy smokes!! 3x Samsung 960 Pros in RAID 0.
View attachment 375572
Source: https://nickwoodhams.com/3x-samsung-960-pros-nvme-raid-0-8000mb-s/

Even if not bootable, it would be great for a work drive.

Pfffft, that's nothing check this SanDisk 120 GB out.

Just picked up a new Hackbook Pro i3 Haswell $109, $20 BRCM 4352HMB, Optical drive HDD caddy $10 and it came with a windows 10 pro 500gb hard drive. $140 for the total as I already have a Sandisk 120gb ready to go. Took 10 minutes to change out the wifi card and replace the drive. Up and running on another budget Hackbook Pro with HD4600 graphics.

Disk Speed test i3 Hackbook Pro .png Screen Shot 2018-12-28 at 4.58.37 PM.png

RAID 0 was created to speed up old and slow mechanical hard drives way back in the 1970s. In this age of 3,000 MB/s NVME drives I don't see it as necessary. If it would create some real world improvements in my workflow I might think about implementing it. The slowest link in the chain is primarily me, the person operating the computer, not the storage drives. RAID 1 will provide some protection of data but I prefer backups instead of mirroring the data across two disks.

I think that ultimately one would have to set up two computers, one with a single NVME boot drive and another with a RAID 0 setup of that same drive. Then, in a blind test, use each one as you normally would for a day or two and try and tell which one is which. Could you tell any difference or get your work done any faster ? That would be a better way to determine if it's worth doing at all. I'd estimate, that for me at least, it would not be worth spending twice as much on storage by creating a RAID 0. I'd rather have that money in my pocket or use it for something else that I needed in a build.

If I were working with 4-5K video files of 100 + GB in size would a RAID of multiple NVME drives do something useful for me ? I have no idea but it would probably worth doing an experiment to find out. So any videographers reading this it would be great if you were to test this out in High Sierra whether you use FCP X or Premiere Pro, does getting read/write speeds beyond 3,500 MB/s do anything beneficial in your real world work experience ?

Last edited:
RAID 0 was created to speed up old and slow mechanical hard drives way back in the 1970s. In this age of 3,000 MB/s NVME drives I don't see it as necessary. If it would create some real world improvements in my workflow I might think about implementing it. The slowest link in the chain is primarily me, the person operating the computer, not the storage drives. RAID 1 will provide some protection of data but I prefer backups instead of mirroring the data across two disks.

I think that ultimately one would have to set up two computers, one with a single NVME boot drive and another with a RAID 0 setup of that same drive. Then, in a blind test, use each one as you normally would for a day or two and try and tell which one is which. Could you tell any difference or get your work done any faster ? That would be a better way to determine if it's worth doing at all. I'd estimate, that for me at least, it would not be worth spending twice as much on storage by creating a RAID 0. I'd rather have that money in my pocket or use it for something else that I needed in a build.

If I were working with 4-5K video files of 100 + GB in size would a RAID of multiple NVME drives do something useful for me ? I have no idea but it would probably worth doing an experiment to find out. So any videographers reading this it would be great if you were to test this out in High Sierra whether you use FCP X or Premiere Pro, does getting read/write speeds beyond 3,500 MB/s do anything beneficial in your real world work experience ?

You know, I should have replied before, but, Christmas and New Years happened, and it's a busy time of the year......

So, the answer is yes (!), because disk speed, particularly writing speed is especially important when you render your work.....a fast disk system that could write out video renders at greater speed could save hours and hours of time.....and time is money on a film, on a video, on a TV show, etc......you get the idea, I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back