Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
CPU
i7-4771
Graphics
GT740
Hackintosh newb here... but very PC savy.

I just got my 10.8.5 build installed.

Intel DH67BL
Core i5-2400
EVGA GeForce GT740
OCZ SSD
(2x) Seagate Constellation.2 ST91000640NS

Everything appears to be working except for the Seagate HDD's. (I know... crazy). When ever the drives are in use, I can hear them power off and power back on. This can't got on much longer or I'm sure they'll burn out. I'm confident the drives are good, they were brand new and I just copied 200+ GB of data back and forth from them in Windows prior to trying the hackintosh.

I did NOT use a DSDT. I found one on this forum for my board, but the OS would either not boot after I run MB or I'd get a kernel panic. I've had the best luck no far without it.

I'm not familiar with MAC and don't really know where to start. My PC background makes me suspicious of how the power mgmt is being used. I think I may of even heard my SATA DVD drive make the noise it does when the system powers on. I'm also not certain if there's other compatibility issue's with MAC OS and certain Hard Drives. These are enterprise class drives and not meant for desktops.

My system Shuts Down and Restarts properly, but does not go to Sleep or Wake Up. When I put the system to Sleep, any of the Seagate drive's connected become "unreadable" until I re-partition and format.

Any help where I should start?

Mo

Hackintosh newb here... but very PC savy.

I just got my 10.8.5 build installed.

Intel DH67BL
Core i5-2400
EVGA GeForce GT740
OCZ SSD
(2x) Seagate Constellation.2 ST91000640NS

Everything appears to be working except for the Seagate HDD's. (I know... crazy). When ever the drives are in use, I can hear them power off and power back on. This can't got on much longer or I'm sure they'll burn out. I'm confident the drives are good, they were brand new and I just copied 200+ GB of data back and forth from them in Windows prior to trying the hackintosh.

I did NOT use a DSDT. I found one on this forum for my board, but the OS would either not boot after I run MB or I'd get a kernel panic. I've had the best luck no far without it.

I'm not familiar with MAC and don't really know where to start. My PC background makes me suspicious of how the power mgmt is being used. I think I may of even heard my SATA DVD drive make the noise it does when the system powers on. I'm also not certain if there's other compatibility issue's with MAC OS and certain Hard Drives. These are enterprise class drives and not meant for desktops.

My system Shuts Down and Restarts properly, but does not go to Sleep or Wake Up. When I put the system to Sleep, any of the Seagate drive's connected become "unreadable" until I re-partition and format.

Any help where I should start?

Mo

If you are looking for any ideas, I would go in to system preferences and under the light bulb, disable sleep and wake on network, and uncheck put hard drives to sleep when possible. Everything that disables power management. You are using 'AHCI' in the bios instead of legacy or compatibility for the SATA controller?

Thanks for the tip.

Def using AHCI

I unchecked the boxes you suggested. It seemed to help the problem, I stopped hearing the Seagate drives constantly restarting. However, the drives still aren't useful.

I ran the Black Magic IO test and the Seagate drives fail to read. I installed an old Western Digital Caviar Black drive and it works fine. This is obviously not my ideal setup. I really want to use the Enterprise class drives for performance, and avoid the cost of buying new drives.

Any other ideas???

Thanks for Help,
Mo

This was a SATA compliance issue. One of the OCZ SSD's i had installed was old and out of compliance making all the other SATA devices on the same power circuit fail.

I resolved this by moving all other devices to separate power feeds from the PSU. This allowed me to mix the older SATA devices with the newer in the same system.

I'd recommend not mix a newer 9 series board with older SATA drives or an older PSU. Best to just buy all new compliant stuff to save yourself the headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back