Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Centris
  3. iBook
  4. iMac
  5. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I should have known I was diving into quicksand when I clicked 'Update' in the App Store.

10.8.3 installed and asked to restart. On restart I got the utun_ctrl_connect : creating interface utun0 pizza wheel just before the logon screen.

I was able to logon in safe mode and tried following quite a bit of advice but after a number of failures I got the kdp_poll: no debugger device error.

I gave up and tried to restore from Time Machine. That's when I got the boot0 error. I tried to reinstall Chimera and my machine just kept rebooting.

I restored again and after a few frustrating attempts I installed the bootloader via Multibeast.

I think everything is working now in 10.8.2

I know this is really crap documentation. This is just a simple warning to fellow noobs.

Unless you have a detailed step by step guide with pictures, video, and friendly voiceover walkthrough DON'T UPDATE EVER!

Thanks to all of the pros who have saved my bum without even knowing. You rule.

Z77X-UD5H i7, 3770K, GTX 680 SOC, 2x 128Gb SAMSUNG SSD 830, 1Tb HDD, 16Gb Ram.

Glad you were able to recover to 10.8.2 without major surgery.
But your scenario reveals the largely unknown deficiency of Time Machine: after allowing Software Update of any type, experiencing issues, and then deciding to revert to the state prior to running SU, Time Machine will NOT achieve a full, clean reversion!

TM may revert your apps and data to the state of the prior date you select to revert to, but it does not undo all changes to the system made by Software Update.

Thus to me Apple is guilty of falsely representing the powers of Time Machine as being capable of a true, 100% rollback.

The only way to assure an actual clean rollback with no tweaking is to create a clone using Disk Utility, Carbon Copy Cloner, or equivalent.

In fact, when running any Software Updates I first create a clone, boot from that clone, and then test SU on the clone, NOT my original system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back