Contribute
Register

10.8.2 and SMB (Windows file sharing) improvements... what does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A UD3R (rev 1.0)
CPU
Core i7 950 3.06 Ghz
Graphics
XFX Radeon 6870 HD 1GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I've been using a trial version of TransMac (installed on my Windows 7 HDD), to transfer files to and from my OS X HDD. I think the trial is up in a couple days, and I will be kind of out of options... the program is $40 and I don't think I'll use it all too much to justify the purchase. But I read in the 10.8.2 update info, and Apple mentioned some sort of SMB Windows file sharing improvement. Is there already a built-in OS X feature to be able to move files to and from Windows 7? (I'm talking about backups, some of them 100's of GB worth).

I am making the assumption that you are dual booting between the two operating systems. The SMB file sharing is only working when OSX is running, and would allow data transfer to an also concurrently running Windows 7; so it isn't a replacement for being able to transfer files between the two oases on the same computer.

There are ways if you google to turn on the write capability of OSX's NTFS, it's just messy terminal work.

I am making the assumption that you are dual booting between the two operating systems. The SMB file sharing is only working when OSX is running, and would allow data transfer to an also concurrently running Windows 7; so it isn't a replacement for being able to transfer files between the two oases on the same computer.

There are ways if you google to turn on the write capability of OSX's NTFS, it's just messy terminal work.

That is correct, I am dual booting.

I went ahead and found an awesome freeware program called HFSExplorer by catacombae. It allows me to copy files from OS X to my Windows 7 HDD while using Windows. I can't seem to copy directly from Windows 7 to OS X, but that's okay. I do like that OS X is compatible with extracting data from NTFS drives like my external from within the OS itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back