Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ok, community, i know this is NOT a hackintosh only issue, so let's first off get that straight. I am appealing to you guys, as a hack user myself, to see if anyone out there in this awesome tinkering-to-force-things-to-work community can find a fix for this issue. Up until 10.13.1 the fast track pro, along with other usb audio devices, worked fine under the usb “Class compliant” umbrella. For the uninitiated, that means that it did not need a driver to work, just plug and chug. There has not been an official driver for this device for many os generations, yet it still worked, just a few less features, but not the most important ones. Anywho, i was hoping someone could compare the 10.13.1 vs 10.13.2 (insert data file name here cause I don't know what it would be) and find a workaround that may apply to all in this predicament.

Ironically, apple's 10.13.2 update specifically states: "Improves compatibility with certain third-party USB audio devices."

My theory is that they on purpose forced all older equipment to no longer work, thus people buy newer more up to date and currently in development devices that may operate better with modern improvements from the manufacture, thus the total amount of hardware being connected to macs perform better, thus apple looks better.

All joking aside, this is affecting all people, hack and mac, across the board. There are dozens of pages of "me too" forum posts where explicitly the m-audio fast track pro seems to be the focus. I am guessing since it was such a great buy at the time, and does it's job well, that many many people still use it today. Anywho, it seems to be the only one i can find that people are complaining about specifically, although one post mentioned some mixer i no longer remember the name of that also no longer functions.

I have connected it to my macbook pro as well as my hack, in both cases it shows up under the system profiler usb section, but it simply does not show under the audio devices, nor midi section.

I guess I am asking if anyone knows a way to compare what kext/driver/system file they manipulated to the old one, and possibly install that as a fix, etc. Or to alter some of the settings within the new file/kext/thingy like we kind of do with appleHDA. I would be willing to work with anyone and trouble shoot this since i have the hardware. I fully intend to broadcast this "fix" to the internet, hack and mac alike, to help everyone affected.

solutions not accepted:
1) downgrade and never upgrade past 10.13.1 (this may be a coarse of action i will employ but i want to cut the nuggets off that suggestion now before someone posts that below).
2) run an older version of the os in a VM (this is also something i am testing out myself just to see if i can get it to work well with recording, but as i use my fast track pro for system audio out as well, this is not the best solution, but i will still post this as a possible "mean time" fix for others that just want it to record)
3) buying, replacing, upgrading, etc. Let's stick to the issue at hand. I don't with to get into a justification debate on using old equipment. for #3 type of forum repliers, let's pretend we are in a space station where the only audio device is this m audio fast track pro and we need to relay to earth that an asteroid which we know they cannot see due to some crazy reason is on it's way and if we get this information to them in time, they have the means to save the earth before it is too late with their newly invented anti asteroid gun that takes times to charge up, and if they start charging by the time they can see it, it is too late since the asteroid is arriving too fast. So this audio device, being the only one on this space station, the only working device left, no way to send any communication else-wise, video, audio, Morris code, light, etc, MUST be placed into working condition. You see, earth force uploaded 10.13.2 to our space station hardware without doing quality QnA and we have no way to tell them to send 10.13.1 or earlier for us to get back too, yet we have the ability to compare the files needed from the previous installation in order to find a fix (i ran out of creativity for this reason, just use your imagination as to why). #HACKERStoSAVEthePLANET

Also have a fast track pro and don't want to simply discard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back