Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

Thanks for posting this. I installed Catalina on both Dell Optiplex 9020 mini tower and a 3020 version (i7 and i5 directly from Mojave (from high Sierra install) without much issues.
This thread is only about the Dell 7010 and 9010 models, not the 3020 and 9020. Don't use this guide for those models as there are specific guides for each of those. The 7010/9010 are 3rd gen Ivy Bridge sytems and the 3020/9020 are 4th gen Haswell. Lots of important differences between them, that's why the guides are separate.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I installed Catalina on both Dell Optiplex 9020 mini tower and a 3020 version (i7 and i5 directly from Mojave (from high Sierra install) without much issues. However, I found it important for success to use Terminal to "disable csrutil" from command line form Recovery disk form Clover Bootloader.

The 9020 has 32 gb ram, 250 gb SSD and an MSI GeForce GTX 1050 7 MB video card (used NVIDIA), the 3020 has 16 gb ram, 250 gb SD and an ATI video card (sorry don't have model, it's in my lab)

The only thing I seem to be having issues with now are installing the Security updates. Once I click on them, I get dialog box to "restart" and once restating, seems not to catch the update, or download it. I keep automatic updates off, but maybe I need to check it off?

also when clover starts up, there are a few disk choices, and should I be selecting one of those "install ..... data". I didn't want to try the install choice before I got some guidance here.

BTW - have you taken the 9010 up to Big Sur or Montery? If so, do you have an install guide? Do you think I could just do a direct upgrade from Catalina?
I know on the newer version you see machintosh hd as part of the upgrade, cannot remember on the older versions.

But before you upgrade make sure you have a bootable back up, so of anything goes wrong you can roll back.

My Dell 7010 USFF with 256 Gb SSD and i5-3475S is very slow in normal operations.
I don't understand why :(

Google Drive takes forever to load.

Is like the computer is sleepy ;(

My Dell 7010 USFF with 256 Gb SSD and i5-3475S is very slow in normal operations.
I don't understand why :(

Google Drive takes forever to load.

Is like the computer is sleepy ;(
Are you connected via WiFi? Anything else running slow apart from Google drive.

No, I'm connected via LAN, but I suspect a network driver problem, as the transfer speed is low.

No, I'm connected via LAN, but I suspect a network driver problem, as the transfer speed is low.
What do you get when you run a speed test?

The main problem is not network speed, is the fact that I click on Finder and I get a reaction after 3 seconds.

Here are the Blackmagic speed test results.

Kingston SA400 256 Gb, Trim Enabled

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    223.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 12.44.01.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 12.44.01.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 57
Here are the Blackmagic speed test results.

Kingston SA400 256 Gb, Trim Enabled
Do you have another SSD that you can try the install on? Or just try another clean install on the same SSD? Maybe something went sideways during the install, and it just needs one more chance....

If you read this guide very carefully and follow this guide in a very detailed way, as long as your hardware is good, it should lead to an extremely responsive Hackintosh. How about re-reading the guide from the beginning, also checking the 7010 guide for High Sierra and Mojave? Make sure to watch the videos too.... You may have missed an important detail..... or there might be a hardware problem....

Last edited:
So, I have an i7-3770s and I saw the same problems in Windows.
I had a different SSD and the same problems.

I've fixed the problems by disabling SpeedStep from BIOS, not my processor is at full speed all the time.

Back