Contribute
Register

[Guide] Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 Desktop PC

272615542_658844725463614_4337974907637244241_n.jpg

Here is the log file. it restarts immediately. I tried to capture it. Do you know what's wrong with it? I tried with opencode and it has the same error

I wish that I knew more about graphics card heights and psu requirements… Out of curiosity, does anyone know if an rx 560 will fit in the 7010 DT form factor and whether or not the original 7010 DT psu is enough for an rx560? Is there “an idiot’s guide to gpu and psu” on here somewhere?
I don't think a Rx560 will fit the machine. I have add a rx560 2gb in my optiplex Mt and that just about fits it.

I got Big Sur working on the 7010 quite well, super responsive and smooth, with USB 3 ports, graphics working great in opencore. Just one problem--always on the 6th or 7th time when waking from sleep, the machine locks up--a total freeze on the desktop--, and I have to perform a hard reset. What is strange is that usually it wakes from a long or short sleep just fine, but after about 6 or 7 sleeps, something strange happens upon waking..... if I unplug and plug back in the HDMI at this point, I end up with a static screen.

Edit, 2022/03/02: I discovered the culprit with my wake from sleep problem on the optiplex 7010 with Big Sur. It is rather embarrassing, but it was a self-inflicted wound--I was using an HMDI splitter (picture below) with the connection. When I removed the splitter, and just connected the DisplayPort < >HDMI cable directly or displayport<>displayport the strange wake from sleep problem vanished. Now, I've had 20 consecutive successful wake from sleeps, lasting over several days, so problem solved.... HERE is link to an EFI for an i7 optiplex 7010/HD4000 for Big Sur/OpenCore where everything works. Any beginners thinking about using this machine with Big Sur should spend time reading this Catalina guide at the beginning of this thread in detail. Lots of valuable information there to make everything work right for this machine with macOS.

Attachments

• tempImagepNkwY1.png
    tempImagepNkwY1.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I got Big Sur working on the 7010 quite well, super responsive and smooth, with all USB ports, graphics working great in opencore. Just one problem--always on the 6th or 7th time when waking from sleep, the machine locks up--a total freeze on the desktop--, and I have to perform a hard reset. What is strange is that usually it wakes from a long or short sleep just fine, but after about 6 or 7 sleeps, something strange happens upon waking..... When I was using Catalina with the 7010, also once in a blue moon, I would get a kernel panic upon waking from sleep, and the machine would automatically restart and give an error log. Now, with Big Sur, after sleeping and waking 6 or 7 times, there is this total screen freeze, and if I unplug and plug back in the HDMI at this point, I end up with a static screen (picture attached).

Other than that, the 7010 performs flawlessly with Big Sur, and disabling sleep is not a big deal. But in case anyone has a guess to why that might be happening, I've attached the EFI that I am using for Big Sur with the 7010. Could it be a failing GPU? I really have no idea... I think that currently on this site, there are only threads open for the 7010 with Monterey and Catalina, that is why I am posting here.
I have get the static screen some times since upgrading my GPU from gt710 to rx560. If I wiggle the hdmi cable that goes into the monitor it resolved it.

I do not have sleep issues with either cards, but I use my usb keyboard to wake up the machine not the usb.

All my issues were related to the 64Gb thumb drive i was trying to use (booting issues)
all my graphics issues were because I couldn't see the "nvidia disable=1" on clover (user error)
booting errors were user error, missing the EFI (user error)

so basically, i have a REALLY nice running dell 7010 16Gb ram, 1Tb ssd, 3T hdd, gt710 (full accell proper!), and some rocking sound output.

ALL THANKS TO YOU GUYS

thanks !

Last edited:
hello all, i had Mojave on my 9010 MT, it was rather stable.. Decided to upgrade to Catalina, followed the guides, everything went fine. only extra hardware a firewire controlled.. but, i had 3-4 kernel panics the first hours.. can someone take a look and help me resolve this problem?
i had Mojave on my 9010 MT, it was rather stable..
Decided to upgrade to Catalina, followed the guides, everything went fine.
only extra hardware a firewire controlled..

Attachments

• Kernel_2022-02-24-180215_AD110-VOURKOS.panic.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 54
Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010/9010

View attachment 446958

Introduction

These are currently some of the most affordable and easy to Hackintosh PCs that are widely available for purchase. The guide for High Sierra and Mojave that I posted previously has been immensely popular, currently at over 362,000 views, so I'm posting this as an addendum to that guide. If you are new to hackintoshing follow the step by step videos and you'll have a working hack in just a few short hours. No previous experience necessary.

If you haven't bought your Optiplex yet, try to find one that has an HD4000 integrated graphics CPU. HD2500 is not supported. There are a limited number of Ivy Bridge CPUs with HD4000. Most notably, there is the i7-3770(S) and the i5-3475S. Get one of those two if possible. The i7-3770S is clocked lower than a 3770. Other than that still has 4 cores and 8 threads plus HD4000 graphics.

HD4000 has full support in Catalina and works flawlessly. The USFF model Optiplex will only work if you have HD4000. There is no option to install dedicated graphics in the USFF desktop.

Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension

View attachment 476126
VPRO: setting should be 1

Another important note about using HD4000. You can access MEBx by pressing the Control and P keys together at boot up. If those keys don't do anything, then it may have been disabled at the factory on your Optiplex. To confirm, open up the side panel and look at the white sticker on the underside. If you see the number 3 and ME Disabled or 6 & ME Lockout it has been factory disabled. This only applies of course if the side panel is the original one from the factory.

If it doesn't have 1 there and you see a 3 or 6 then see the instructions for:

3. Password Protect MEBx section of the Mojave and High Sierra guide. You'll need a 1 there and MEBx enabled to use integrated graphics exclusively.

The SMCProcessor kext attached below is optional. You can place it in the kexts/other folder if you want more accurate CPU frequency reporting. The i5 and i7 SSDTs are for CPU power management. Place the one for your CPU into the ACPI/patched folder.

Do everything in the sequence presented in the videos for the best results.
Hope you enjoy your new Dell Hackintosh !
Thanks for posting this. I installed Catalina on both Dell Optiplex 9020 mini tower and a 3020 version (i7 and i5 directly from Mojave (from high Sierra install) without much issues. However, I found it important for success to use Terminal to "disable csrutil" from command line form Recovery disk form Clover Bootloader.

The 9020 has 32 gb ram, 250 gb SSD and an MSI GeForce GTX 1050 7 MB video card (used NVIDIA), the 3020 has 16 gb ram, 250 gb SD and an ATI video card (sorry don't have model, it's in my lab)

The only thing I seem to be having issues with now are installing the Security updates. Once I click on them, I get dialog box to "restart" and once restating, seems not to catch the update, or download it. I keep automatic updates off, but maybe I need to check it off?

also when clover starts up, there are a few disk choices, and should I be selecting one of those "install ..... data". I didn't want to try the install choice before I got some guidance here.

BTW - have you taken the 9010 up to Big Sur or Montery? If so, do you have an install guide? Do you think I could just do a direct upgrade from Catalina?

Back