Loz

Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone,

First off, thanks Tony for providing a great resource to help us get around Apple's restrictions to install Mac OS on Windows Based PC's/Laptops.

I've been searching high and low all over the internet until I found your blogspot site.

With all the information available I'm somewhat suffering from information overload...lol and I'm not sure exactly where to begin now.

Here's my specs of my LAPTOP:
-----------------------------------

HP Envy 17 Laptop: Dr Dre Beats.

Intel i7 X920 Dual Quad Core @2Ghz per core (iExtreme Gamer CPU).
8GB DDR3 Ram @ 1333Mhz
FSB 1333Mhz
ATI 1G Video Card
2x 500GB Seagate Momentus XT SATA drives w/32MB Cache w/4GB Of Solid State Memory (hybrid) running at 7200RPM

Drive 1 (C Drive): has Windows 7 64bit Pro on it... 388GB of Space spare.
Drive 2 (D Drive): has nothing on it, but has been formatted via Disk Management feature in windows.

Man purpose of the build:
-----------------------------
Surfing net, running intense RAM Hog Programs like Camtasia Studio, Adobe Master Suite; Encore, Premier, Photoshop, After Effects, etc. and other stuff of that nature.

My intentions now:
-----------------------

I'm wanting to install Mac OS X 10.6.3 retail (that I waited 4 weeks to arrive), for the main reason they have some kick butt applications for Video production and Video presentation like Keynote, etc. I figure since I have better architecture than a standard Mac, things would run a lot better and faster. :)

I have Parallel 6, however this will need to be installed AFTER I have Mac OSX installed as its only for that version (which worked out cheaper than buying the Windows version to switch to a Mac), gawd knows why, but I figured this was the best option.

My primary use will be using Windows 7 64 Bit pro and occasionally switch to Mac but with the convenience to use Parallel 6 to use any programs that I have installed already on Windows that is not available and or compatible with Mac.

How can you help or anyone help me?
----------------------------------------------

Well, as i say, I'm somewhat suffering from information overload and I not exactly sure how to proceed from here.

Any advice and instructions to carry out a flawless install would be most awesome, and also, i understand that I may need to update some drivers, etc like Sound, graphics, and what not, where would I need to go to have Mac work just like my Windows in regards to these?

Thanks kindly for your time,

Best wishes,

Loz

Hi

I looked at that already mate. :) jotted down notes on paper.

I already tried disconnecting my laptops win 7 HD, and put spare HD in its place, but got a error message saying no boot record or something or another.

Loz said:
Hi everyone,

First off, thanks Tony for providing a great resource to help us get around Apple's restrictions to install Mac OS on Windows Based PC's/Laptops.

I've been searching high and low all over the internet until I found your blogspot site.

With all the information available I'm somewhat suffering from information overload...lol and I'm not sure exactly where to begin now.

Here's my specs of my LAPTOP:
-----------------------------------

HP Envy 17 Laptop: Dr Dre Beats.

Intel i7 X920 Dual Quad Core @2Ghz per core (iExtreme Gamer CPU).
8GB DDR3 Ram @ 1333Mhz
FSB 1333Mhz
ATI 1G Video Card
2x 500GB Seagate Momentus XT SATA drives w/32MB Cache w/4GB Of Solid State Memory (hybrid) running at 7200RPM

Drive 1 (C Drive): has Windows 7 64bit Pro on it... 388GB of Space spare.
Drive 2 (D Drive): has nothing on it, but has been formatted via Disk Management feature in windows.

Man purpose of the build:
-----------------------------
Surfing net, running intense RAM Hog Programs like Camtasia Studio, Adobe Master Suite; Encore, Premier, Photoshop, After Effects, etc. and other stuff of that nature.

My intentions now:
-----------------------

I'm wanting to install Mac OS X 10.6.3 retail (that I waited 4 weeks to arrive), for the main reason they have some kick butt applications for Video production and Video presentation like Keynote, etc. I figure since I have better architecture than a standard Mac, things would run a lot better and faster. :)

I have Parallel 6, however this will need to be installed AFTER I have Mac OSX installed as its only for that version (which worked out cheaper than buying the Windows version to switch to a Mac), gawd knows why, but I figured this was the best option.

My primary use will be using Windows 7 64 Bit pro and occasionally switch to Mac but with the convenience to use Parallel 6 to use any programs that I have installed already on Windows that is not available and or compatible with Mac.

How can you help or anyone help me?
----------------------------------------------

Well, as i say, I'm somewhat suffering from information overload and I not exactly sure how to proceed from here.

Any advice and instructions to carry out a flawless install would be most awesome, and also, i understand that I may need to update some drivers, etc like Sound, graphics, and what not, where would I need to go to have Mac work just like my Windows in regards to these?

Thanks kindly for your time,

Best wishes,

Loz

Loz said:
I already tried disconnecting my laptops win 7 HD, and put spare HD in its place, but got a error message saying no boot record or something or another.

You say you have formatted your spare hard disk in Windows? Then that can be a problem. Mac OSX Snow Leopard requires that the disk be formatted in GPT (GUID partition table) rather than MBR (Master Boot Record) in order to be able to install. I suspect your hard disk is already formatted with the MBR scheme, and so Mac OSX will not install.

After you get the Mac OSX install program up and running, you should choose to run Disk Utility under the Utilities pull down menu, and partition your hard disk using GPT with 1 partition. Only after that will you be able to install Snow Leopard on your spare hard disk.

Hi James,

Cheers... I'll give that a go...

btw, this section here via
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html
---------
You will need to set your BIOS to ACHI mode and your Boot Priority to boot from CD-ROM first. This is the most important step, and one many people overlook. Make sure your bios settings match these. It's not difficult- the only thing I did on my Gigabyte board besides setting Boot Priority to CD/DVD first was set Optimized Defaults, change SATA to AHCI mode, and set HPET to 64-bit mode.
-------

As mentioned in my opening post, I'm using a HP Envy 17 Laptop... I don't have these options in my bios.

Is this going to cause some problems?

Thx

Hey guys, back again... now frustration levels are getting higher. :(

It's getting extremely awkward because I have to keep booting down, turn the laptop over, unscrew HDD2 (spare where i want to install Mac OSX on), take out HDD1 (windows), and put HDD2 in HDD1 slot.

I reboot, enter the iBoot CD that I burned (i got a some questions below this image as something doesn't seem right).

I found some software to allow me to remove the MBR partition and create a GPT partition.

As shown below.

gpt.png

Below is iBoot content of the CD:

iboot1.png

however here, the cdboot is in a directory

iboot2.png

but the apple boot file is here

iboot3.png

When I boot up with this disc in, all i get is a message stating that there is no boot record as before.

can anyone kindly help this frustrated guy who's on his 4th Anvil pill now lol to solve this problem.

I've spent about 10hours trying to get this done and I'm not getting anywhere :(

thx kindly for your time.

OK, let's try this.
Since you are here, go here: viewforum.php?f=125 and download iBoot. It contains a .ISO file. You do not burn it to a cd as a data file. You use something like Nero to burn it as a disc image. There is a big difference. with that done, shutdown and remove the Win7 drive. It is not necessary to disconnect/reconnect the second drive - leave it where it is.
I am assuming you have a DVD/CD-RW in your laptop. Put the iBoot CD in and close the tray. Power up and boot the machine till it stops at the chameleon loading screen - you will see an icon labeled iBoot.
Remove the iBoot disk and replace it with the Snow Leopard retail install disc. Wait until the drive spins up and then quits spinning. Press F5. The iBoot icon should turn into a Snow Leopard Install disc icon. hit enter. At the white screen with the big black X in the middle of it, at the top center you will see a button that says utilities. Clicking on this button drops a menu - click on disk utility. In the left pane select your hard drive. In the right pane select partition. in the right pane lower left is a button labeled options - click on it. A menu opens, click in the circle in front of GUID. Click ok. Above the box above the option button, click on the down arrow to the right of partition and select how many partitions you want. Click on the box below for the first partition. To the right, type in a name for the partition, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled), look at the amount of space in the next box for size of the partition and adjust how you want. Repeat for other partitions.
Hit apply. Exit. Back on the big X screen hit continue and install OS X.

Post results.

Hi

Thanks mate, I dont even get a chance to even get to most of that you've kindly explained.

Here's a NEW problem after burning ISO file.

erroriboot.png

These were the steps I followed to get to this stage.

Step 1:

macwin1.png

Step 2:

macwin2.png

Step 3:

macwin3.png

Step 4:

macwin4.png

Step 5:

macwin5.png

Step 6:

macwin6.png

Step 7:

macwin7.png

What to do now? :(

There's no need to overanalyze the contents on the iBoot disc. It's pretty hard to burn a CD incorrectly... :p

Are you sure you're using iBoot correctly? A common newbie error is to press "enter" on the iBoot icon at the iBoot screen. Once the iBoot icon loads, you're supposed to eject the iBoot CD and put in the Snow Leopard DVD. Then press F5 to refresh iBoot, so that the Snow Leopard DVD will show up on the iBoot screen. Select the Snow Leopard DVD.

At what point are you getting the EBIOS errors? I generally get EBIOS errors for 10-20 seconds after refreshing iBoot, before the Snow Leopard DVD shows up on the iBoot screen. You may have to wait it out for a few minutes.

Unplug any USB devices that are attached to your laptop. A faulty USB external hard drive gave my EBIOS errors before.

TheSmartGuy said:
There's no need to overanalyze the contents on the iBoot disc. It's pretty hard to burn a CD incorrectly... :p

Hi there :) thx for replying bud.

Yeh, i know its hard to burn something incorrectly... now, don't get me wrong. I'm more than capable of using a PC, I've tried every trick I know to get things working as they are supposed to, but to no avail. :(

TheSmartGuy said:
Are you sure you're using iBoot correctly? A common newbie error is to press "enter" on the iBoot icon at the iBoot screen. Once the iBoot icon loads, you're supposed to eject the iBoot CD and put in the Snow Leopard DVD. Then press F5 to refresh iBoot, so that the Snow Leopard DVD will show up on the iBoot screen. Select the Snow Leopard DVD.

Arh ha, that might be the problem then.

Below are some images that I took as the thing started to load, but loaded with problems.

ibootstartup0.png

so from here I pressed ESC, and this loaded:

ibootstartup1.png

the other side of the screen below:

ibootstartup2.png

What I have tried was, a) click the iboot icon then entered the mac disc, that didn't work.

b) tried loading things again, and always getting that error in the first message, but when i got to that screen again I clicked imac and put in the mac os disc in again and dont get anything.

So by reading what you just mentioned, I just simply need to remove the iboot disc THEN enter the mac disc.... THEN press F5?

Odd, cos the way I read it from instructions were to press F5 AFTER I select an icon and entered the disc...

Any ways, thanks for the extra clarification. :)

TheSmartGuy said:
At what point are you getting the EBIOS errors? I generally get EBIOS errors for 10-20 seconds after refreshing iBoot, before the Snow Leopard DVD shows up on the iBoot screen. You may have to wait it out for a few minutes.

Those ebios errors were right at the very beginning of loading the iboot disc.

TheSmartGuy said:
Unplug any USB devices that are attached to your laptop. A faulty USB external hard drive gave my EBIOS errors before.

Its just a Laptop mate with mouse connected via USB and a USB Hub.

Cheers again... I'll go try again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back