Contribute
Register

Z77X-UD5H - USB Problems - Reboot (Yosemite)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on the same board (but rev 1.0) running F14.
Clean install of Yosemite with Clover. The only kext I have added is the TRIM enabler.

I'm beginning to think this is a bluetooth issue. I'm experiencing these regular kernel panics on a Z77N-UD5H too, only after the system wakes from sleep. Until then, like everyone else in the thread, no KPs at all. Then after the system sleeps/wakes, something innocuous like launching Parallels will cause a KP.

Here's what I get in Console every time:

11/4/14 1:57:01.000 PM kernel[0]: REQUIRE_NO_ERR failure: 0x1 - file: /SourceCache/IOBluetoothFamily_kexts/IOBluetoothFamily-4300.4.10/Core/Family/HCI/Transports/USB/IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport/IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.cpp:2109

I'm using a GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongle, FWIW. It worked perfectly with Mavericks, and works perfectly with Yosemite until the system wakes from sleep, apparently.

Hopefully this helps the bloodhounds get to the bottom of this. It's getting to be a real PITA. This Z77N-UD5H/i7-3770K rig has served me flawlessly for several years now, and never gave me any trouble at all until this Yosemite KP issue.

When I get some free time I will try out a few different Clover configurations. I wrecked my bootloader last night and had a heck of a time getting it working again. In the process I did once manage to boot with a configuration that seemed to NOT crash once waking up from sleep and having a USB device plugged in. I wonder if it is relevant that my audio was not working in that configuration.

I'm beginning to think this is a bluetooth issue. I'm experiencing these regular kernel panics on a Z77N-UD5H too, only after the system wakes from sleep. Until then, like everyone else in the thread, no KPs at all. Then after the system sleeps/wakes, something innocuous like launching Parallels will cause a KP.

Here's what I get in Console every time:

11/4/14 1:57:01.000 PM kernel[0]: REQUIRE_NO_ERR failure: 0x1 - file: /SourceCache/IOBluetoothFamily_kexts/IOBluetoothFamily-4300.4.10/Core/Family/HCI/Transports/USB/IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport/IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport.cpp:2109

I'm using a GMYLE Bluetooth 4.0 USB dongle, FWIW. It worked perfectly with Mavericks, and works perfectly with Yosemite until the system wakes from sleep, apparently.

Hopefully this helps the bloodhounds get to the bottom of this. It's getting to be a real PITA. This Z77N-UD5H/i7-3770K rig has served me flawlessly for several years now, and never gave me any trouble at all until this Yosemite KP issue.

I removed my Bluetooth USB Dongle, Reboot, Sleep / Wake, connect iPhone and then Reboot.

In my case it is not Bluetooth :(

I agree, on further testing I think it may be USB related. Sleep then wake, and most any change related to USB - plugging in a thumb drive, dongle, or even launching a program like Parallels which shares the USB ports, and instant kernel panic.

I'm hoping this can be sorted with an alternative BIOS setting somewhere in the XHCI/EHCI tab. Maybe the settings that worked perfectly well up till now need to be changed for Yosemite. Just spitballing here. What's really irksome is that while usually a perusal of the Console crash log gives a clear picture of what caused the KP, I've been combing through Console logs for days now and can't find anything that clearly points to something. Just the anecdotal evidence of plug something USB in post-wake and the system freezes.

-don't get your hopes up, still looking for a solution-

Well, I reinstalled YM [Chimera, no kexts other than FakeSMC] on a spare disk. What I've found is that the crashes emanate from:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework

It contains a daemon [usbmuxd], which is launched when an iOS device is connected via USB.

Once disabled [e.g. by renaming it to MobileDevice.frameworkDISABLED], the USB ports are OK, and iPhones do nothing when connected - can't be seen by iTunes.

There is no crash, but obviously this is not a solution, just a pointer to the source of the problem, OS-wise.

Well, I _am_ getting my hopes up, because this is sort of what this discussion thread is all about, researching a problem and finding a solution. And I've been building these Hackinstoshes for long enough to know that issues like this tend to get solved when the hive mind works together. So yes, I do expect a solution at some point. Way too many folks out there with Z77N-UD5H motherboards to just live with constant USB-related crashes and accept that as the status quo.

I tried your fix and it didn't make a difference. My UD5H still crashes after wake if a USB drive is plugged in. I never plug iOS devices in anymore, so that functionality isn't useful to me. I just want to figure out why this particular board's USB circuit is having such trouble with Yosemite and Chimera when everything was perfectly fine under Mavericks.

Anyone else have any ideas? I'm going to try replacing the Yosemite USB kexts with Mavs to see if that solves anything.

Anyone else have any ideas? I'm going to try replacing the Yosemite USB kexts with Mavs to see if that solves anything.

Excellent idea! Please post results ASAP. Good luck (and sorry for my original pessimism...)

Xen

I have the same problem with Clover or Ozmosis. :banghead: It appears only after Yosemite update. :roll2:

Glad to find this thread - I also have this issue - plugging in my iPhone 4S after the machine has woken from sleep gives me an instant reboot. I have stopped connecting my iPhone to the computer - to date have not experienced the issue with other USB devices - but then again I have not deliberately tested that - so I guess I have just given myself a task to do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back