Contribute
Register

Z77 mATX Motherboards and OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just built that system for my in-laws...

GA-B75M-D3H - i3-3225 - 2x4GB Kingston Hyper-X 1600MHz Ram - ADATA 60GB SATA3 - WD 250GB 7200RPM - Sony DVD-RW. It is running with Intel HD4000 Graphics, Sleep/Wake and Ethernet is working flawlessly. Updated to 10.8.2 and loaded the rollback AppleACAPIPlatform.kext with KextBeast and Realtek HDA with Multibeast before Restart. Upon Restart the only thing I was missing was TRIM support so I Re-enabled TRIM support for non Apple SSD's in IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext as follows:

Make backup:
Code:
sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage.original
Enable TRIM:
Code:
sudo perl -pi -e 's|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00{1,20})[^\x00]{9}(\x00{1,20}\x4D)|$1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00$2|sg' /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage

64bit Geekbench score for this build is 8328.

Sorry I don't understand, did you post here by mistake?

I guess Fab is replying to my question about B75. (sorry to mess up your topic on the Z77)

I will continue on the other one : http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-hardware-discussion/73712-why-so-few-builds-ga-b75m.html (go there Fab, please.. ;) )

In fact, the B75 is the recommended mATX board from TonyMac team. But it is not very famous around the builds.
I will check the difference between the Asus Z77 and the Giga B75 to see, from my usage point of view. (I don't OC, I don't have 4 HDD, I don't need big GPU, etc.)

(Maybe everybody need bigger builds than me...? and they go for the Z77, which I won't use all capacities..)

Sorry, I was attempting to directly reply to the quoted post below...

Thanks a lot for this very useful post.
Funny for me, when I was just opening a topic about "why nobody is using the GA-B75M?"... and few hours later, I found your topic which gave me some answers.

Thanks to you, I am back to my draft paper of compatible equipment.
I was gathering information through the forum, over the last 4 months, to decide on what build... I was almost ordering the GA-B75M and now, I have to check for this Asus and MSI.
I hope I won't take another 4 months to decide.

Although I am not going to use i5 or i7, heavy processor, or OC...
Would you still recommend these boards, for a "basic" hack mini with i3-3225 ? (I just need a silent and stable HackMini... moving out from an old iMac 2008, C2D 2.4GHz... I guess I will see a big difference.)
Thanks for your advice

Also, I see you are using the P8Z77-M Pro. The little sister "not Pro" is still compatible for us?

seahawk, zenbr is using easybeast, so i wouldnt use that guide

OK. Thanks for the advice samisnake. ;)
With the other guides understand that there is no problem.

PD: I have edited the other post.

hello, i bought a asus p8z77-m pro after reading this thread since it seemd so easy to install but im having some issue

here's my build

p8z77-m pro -- i5 2500k -- nvidia 460v2 -- samsung 830 128gb

here's what i did

-updated the bios with the one from asus4all

-installed osx mountain lion from usb stick NO PROBLEM

-i boot into osx,network is working graphic is 1024x768 connected on dvi output of the motherboard

-i launch multi beast set up like you did and i have kernel panic at reboot

-redid all that installing just network driver... ln2x kernel panic

-redid all that installing just audio driver....kernel panic

-its the fifth time i re install osx :( if i don't touch anything its fine but if i install one single thing from multibeast it's kernel panic time

Quick n00b question: what do you mean by "modded bios"? Do you just mean an updated bios?
Specifically for the MSI board, when you modded it to .140 do you mean version 1.4 as it states on the MSI website?
Has anyone updated to 1.5 or should I stick with 1.4?

Quick n00b question: what do you mean by "modded bios"? Do you just mean an updated bios?
Specifically for the MSI board, when you modded it to .140 do you mean version 1.4 as it states on the MSI website?
Has anyone updated to 1.5 or should I stick with 1.4?

What is meant by "modded" BIOS is that someone has downloaded the BIOS, decompiled it and changed the code to unlock the MSR and recompiled it.

Uh yikes, I haven't a clue on how to do that. Does anyone have the modded bios for download or at least a step-by-step tutorial? Just don't know what I would mod even if I learned how to actually do it. Thanks.

--- btw is this a working modded bios and do I need to update to 1.5 bios version first? http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/59569-msi-z77ma-g45-150-bios.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back