Contribute
Register

Won't boot past apple logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't do that... no. Am I able to still do that or do I have to re-install?

On a real MacPro5,1 AppleTyMCEDriver.kext handles the ECC memory and as you don't have ECC RAM it results in a kernel panic.

You can boot with -x and navigate in Finder to /System/Library/Extensions and move AppleTyMCEDriver.kext to the Trash.

Good Luck

just an FYI to all you folks kind enough to take the time and help me out here...
I'm not able to boot -x (Safe Mode).
I get hung up at the same place no matter what arguments I enter.
That being said, I used the USB to boot into terminal and removed that specific kext, but it made no difference. I've loaded all different MacPro settings in the multiple install attempts, but each time I end up at that same screen. I just tried a fresh install using the imac 14,2 but that yielded the same results.

I'm not able to work on the machine now, but later I may try to download another copy of Mavericks from the appstore while re-downloading unibeast and multibeast and reformat the boot USB drive again.

Is it not odd that I'm able to boot from the SSD after the initial OS install, but after installing MuliBeast I get stuck?

I've read on some threads that builders used the onboard Intel Graphics first and added their Graphics card later. Maybe I should give that a try?

There must be something simple that I'm messing up here. I purchased all of my equipment based on the Mac Pro build in the most recent buyer's guide and followed all the recommended settings/installation procedures, so I'm curious as to why I'm having this much difficulty (not that I expected this to work right away). I'd say that maybe one or more of the components are defective, but Windows 7 seems to run on the machine without any trouble so ????

Anyway, you people have been awesome and patient so thank you all for that. I'll keep trying.

Is it not odd that I'm able to boot from the SSD after the initial OS install, but after installing MuliBeast I get stuck?

It's not odd - It just means your Multibeast selections are wrong.

Search for a User Build with similar hardware to yours and use the settings specified there.

I've read on some threads that builders used the onboard Intel Graphics first and added their Graphics card later. Maybe I should give that a try?

Definitely worth a try :thumbup:

Good Luck

Just an update for those who took the time to check this thread and help me out:
I was able to successfully install Mavericks 10.9.4 and it appears to be fully operational (at least for now). I'm not able to take advantage of the on-board Bluetooth (I'll prob just spend like $15 to get an adapter for the USB) or WiFi (I have a PCI wifi card which is compatible so I'm not concerned there), and I haven't tested the Thunderbolt capability, but I'll worry about that stuff later.

I unplugged all other drives except my target SSD and removed all but one memory stick, as I have done since the beginning, and did a fresh install.

I followed all the guidelines laid out by Genzai in this thread (Post #4):Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD7-TH - MultiBeast Options

While this outline addresses the setup for the UD7-TH, mine being the UD5-TH, but I figured the guide would still apply. I followed the setup instructions carefully and thoroughly for BIOS (with the exception of the IGFX setup as I am only using one monitor through the GPU at the moment), MultiBeast and so-on... worked. After repairing disk permissions, I shut down, re-attached all other drives along with my second memory stick, and booted up from the SSD without needing to enter any arguments at all! Hopefully this all holds up... I'm not counting on it, but remain optimistic.

Thanks to you all again.

thepreacher,

Quick question for you: I have pretty much the exact same set up and waiting for everything to be shipped.. did you have to flash the BIOS to a more recent version (F5) to use the 4790K? Anything in particular you had to do to get that working? I'm worried I won't be able to boot cause apparently (or so I've heard/read) you need the BIOS updated to run that processor. Thanks for your help!

Hello Srodd14,

Happy to help, if I can. I did not flash the BIOS. At the time of my build (and I believe currently), the F5 BIOS for this board was in Beta stage and therefore not recommended by most for use with the hack. Check the Gigabyte website when your board comes in to confirm if it's still in Beta. If so, then I wouldn't bother to flash the BIOS. I haven't run into any major issues since I successfully completed the install nearly a month ago... just a few minor hiccups here and there, but nothing catastrophic. I haven't attempted any overclocking, so I can't speak to how well the chip performs there without flashing the BIOS, but it's running at 4.4ghz and that's just fine for me at the moment.

Also, I never successfully got the on-board WIFI and BT working, but then again, I didn't put that much effort into it. There's plenty of posts out there that detail how this can be accomplished, so check them out if you're determined to get these going. I just went ahead and picked up a WIFI card and BT dongle and they've worked well enough. I hope this helps out a bit. Cheers and good luck to ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back